Croston/mawdesley moss 8.30/11.00AM(POSSIBLE DOTTEREL)

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss 8.30/11.00AM(POSSIBLE DOTTEREL)

Post by gary lilley »

90% sure i spotted a single dotterel this morning on croston finney , on the large recently sown field next to united utilities depot ( great hanging bridge) i didnt get a great view through my bins but i could see the bird had a creamy coloured pale face light brown body and pale under parts ,i tried to get a closer view by going down the river embankment , as i got up the embankment the split second it took me to make my dog sit the bird had dissapeared :cry: i was gutted, if anybody goes down today i would advise to take a telescope.
other birds spotted:- 100 pinkfoot , 10 mallard , 2 gadwall( same pond) , 3 kestrel , 1 buzzard , 1 sparrowhawk , several pheasant , 1 red legged , 30+ snipe ( some birds may have been seen more than once) , 20 lapwing , 4 plover flew over ( 1 bird on its own maybe the dotterel and a group of 3) , large amounts of skylark 100+ , flocks of treesparrow 20+, linnet 100, goldfinch20 ,greenfinch 100, reed bunting 20+ , yellowhammer 10, cornbunting10 ,50+ carrion crow, 2 raven , 40 fieldfare.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Had a quick look this afternoon, Gary, with the scope, but there were no birds around.

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”