Fungal Foray 17.9.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Fungal Foray 17.9.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

Four hardy souls braved the sometimes torrential downpours and took advantage of a few intermittent dry spells to benefit from Joyce's expertise in the mycological field. Well over 20 species were found, despite the conditions, making it all worthwhile. I'll leave Joyce to enter the species found, but in the meantime birds encountered during the foray included:-

Kestrel, GS Pecker, Green Pecker, Pied Wagtail, Swallow, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Jay, Lesser Redpoll and Siskin
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Fungi list

Post by Joyce Riley »

29 species were identified on the foray (and there are 2 more having spore prints done at home), which considering the weather and plan B as we only walked along the path by The Goit from the cricket field to the next gate just beyond the empty lodge, is a good total. 21 species were on Tony Dunn's list from 31st August (so refer to that for Latin names), these being (in order as Tony's): Cep, Peppery Bolete, Orange Birch Bolete, Ghost Bolete, Brown Birch Bolete, Oakbug Milkcap, Ugly Milkcap, Charcoal Burner, Common Yellow Russula/Ochre Brittlegill, Fly Agaric, The Blusher, Tawny Grisette, The Deceiver, The Miller, Brown Rollrim, Petticoat Mottlegill, Blushing Bracket, Turkeytail, Common Earthball, Orange Peel Fungus, Sulphur Tuft.
The 8 additional species were Amethyst Deceiver (Laccaria amethystina), Bleeding Oak Crust (Stereum gausapatum), Birch Milkcap (Lactarius tabidus), Common Inkcap (Coprinus atramentarius), Common Bonnet (Mycena galericulata), Frosty Webcap (Cortinarius hemitrichus), Grey Spotted Amanita (Amanita spissa) and Small Stagshorn (Calocera cornea).
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Joyce, Neil and Co,

Sorry I couldn't make it this year, but here's a contribution from my garden.

I hope that it's the right colour.

Is it called a water trough ?

Chris.
Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Fungal Foray 17 9 11

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

I wish I could have joined you as I find so many fungi that don't quite match the ones in the book. I was in extreme north west Scotland and, if you though the weather was lousy down here, you should have been up there. But, it was beautiful and we saw all sorts of wildlife.

However, to the subject in hand, I walked along the Goit from White Coppice to Brinscall this morning. I have never seen such a display of Fly Agaric as on the first stretch from the cricket field north (For anyone that doesn't know, it's the large bright orange red fungus with the white spots that always features in drawings of fairy stories etc).

Also 2/3 dippers working along the goit.

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”