Fungi near Waterman's Cottage

Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Fungi near Waterman's Cottage

Post by Joyce Riley »

Thanks to a tip-off from Nora that there were some fungi that she thought were Red Cracking Boletes under a tree near the Anglezarke end of the path from White Coppice, I had an interesting mini fungal foray yesterday afternoon (22nd August). I confirmed Nora's ID of the fungi under an oak tree by the bend and also found lots more fungi, under the oak trees at the other side of the path, including 2 more Boletus species, Inkstain Bolete with yellow pores and Scarletina Bolete with red pores, both of which bruise blue; 2 Russula species, Purple Brittlegill and Scarlet Brittlegill; a few Deceivers; lots of small brown Webcaps that looked like Cortinarius decipiens (but I have neither the time not the patience to spend confirming identification of this difficult group these days!); a dark coloured Milkcap that I am pretty sure is Lactarius subumbonatus = L. cimicarius but as I am not familiar with this species locally, I am open to corrections. It certainly wasn't the common Oakbug Milkcap.

On drive home, I stopped to look at the reservoirs. Birds included 2 GC Grebes on Anglezarke Reservoir, 2 Buzzards soaring over the woods by Upper Rivington and a single Cormorant on a raft/boat of Lower Rivington. A large juv gull on Upper Rivington could have been the juv Med Gull mentioned on earlier postings but I'm not an expert on gull ID!
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

Hi Joyce
That area under the oaks has always been a great spot for various species of fungi, Dave & myself have tried to ID the cortinarius but they are too much like hard work.
I must have a look at the Scarletinas when passing, very attractive Boletes.
Another good area is out the gate onto the road, turn left and as the hill starts, the banking on the right hand side of the road.
No path there so watch for cars coming down the hill. :shock:

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”