Withnell Fold Reserve and Flash 20.8.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Withnell Fold Reserve and Flash 20.8.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

The Reserve is pretty well overrun by Himalayan Balsam with next to no maintenance being carried out by LCC, presumably because of cut-backs.
As I approached the flash, the sound of gunshot made my heart sink, as it seemed unlikely there would be any birds around. The shooters were in a camouflaged temporary shooting butt in a hedgerow between wheat fields. In the field were several Woodpigeon and Crows, and I thought it was strange that they had not been frightened off, until closer inspection revealed that they were all decoys - some of them strung up on wires to give the appearance of birds in flight! One effect of the shooting was that there were plenty of birds flying about, plus a mixed flock of Lapwing and Starling had moved away from the shooters and into the flash field giving good views. Sightings:-

Birds:- Mallard 9, Moorhen, Pheasant, Lapwing c120, Buzzard (adult and juvenile), Kestrel, Woodpigeon 50+, GS Pecker, Swallow (lots), House Martin (several), Spotted Flycatcher (adult feeding juvenile plus a couple of others calling), Chiffchaff 2 or 3 singing, Willow Warbler, Treecreeper, Starling 60+, Magpie, Jay, Rooks and Jackdaws 50+, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch
Butterflies:- singles of Small White, Gatekeeper and Speckled Wood
Dragonflies:- Brown Hawker 4
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Neil, I was down there briefly last year - been fishing canal - and I also felt the reed is in need of managing, soon will be no open water left, like Brockholes, need to create 'edge' to maximise ecological value. Perhaps those in the Society who were interested in taking on a project, maybe this could be it - under licence from LCC?
Brian

Return to “2011 Recent Sightings Submissions”