White Coppice to Healey Nab and back 30.7.11

Neil Southworth
Avocet

White Coppice to Healey Nab and back 30.7.11

Post by Neil Southworth »

The sound of a horn being blown as I arrived suggested that the hounds were out on the moors. They may well have been earlier, but this was a case of Mostyn is missing, Mostyn being a hound of independent spirit. Two of the handlers were desperately searching, one up on the moor and one down below, apparently without success. As I headed along the track towards Anglezarke, however, Mostyn came past me looking quite happy and unconcerned. Fortunately, he was intercepted and reunited with the huntsmen.
Apart from a few snatches of Willow Warbler song, it was very quiet on the avian front, and nothing exceptional was seen, although a small flock of half a dozen Siskin on Healey Nab was interesting:-

GC Grebe 2 and 1 juve, Cormorant 4, Mallard c30, Curlew, Lapwing, Kestrel, Buzzard, LBB Gull, LBB Gull, Woodpigeon, Pied Wagtail 2, Grey Wagtail 4, Meadow Pipit, Swallow (lots), Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Reed Bunting
Butterflies:- Small, Large and GV White, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Small Skipper
Odonata (Nab pools):- Emperor, Common Hawker 2, Black Darter 10+, Emerald Damselfly 6, Common Blue Damselfly 50+

Also nice to see Dave Tucker who got a few shots of Black Darter and Emerald Damsel, including a pair of the latter copulating
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

My grandsons and I were up the Nabb between 1pm and 2pm.

I heard a different twitter but didn't recognise it as Siskin. I should have made more of an effort to see what it was.

More images below.

Chris.
warby
Grey Wagtail

Post by warby »

Looks like a very rare species you caught on camera in the tree chris
a lesser spotted brat. lol
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

These two have grown a bit...

...since last year-