Swans, Owls and a Singing Chaffinch. Eccleston.

John Edwards
Peregrine

Swans, Owls and a Singing Chaffinch. Eccleston.

Post by John Edwards »

Tinklers Lane > Corn Mill > St.Marys. 9.00 - 11.00.
I was expecting it to be another quiet morning birdwise as it has been since the snow fell btu there was plenty to see, started off with 19 Whoopers flying past low. The usual Tawny Owl was expected but the Little Owl watching me as I passed by wasn't. An optomistic Chaffinch was singing! maybe it knew yesterday was the shortest day and it's all downhill from now on.
A Buzzard and a male Kestrel were along Syd Brook Lane probably eyeing up the Fieldfares and Redwings which were feeding along the hedge and in the Hawthorn bushes. 21 Mallard and a female Gooseander were on the River with 2 Snipe flying up from the rivers edge. 3 Jays, 3 Song Thrushes and 20+ Blackbirds, 2 Goldfinch and 2 Bullfinch. Finally 12 Curlew flew over.
I wished I'd taken my camera with me but after carrying it around without seeing anything except SNOW the last few visits I left it at home.
John Edwards
gary lilley
Avocet

tawny owl.

Post by gary lilley »

Where abouts have you been seeing the tawny owl john?
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

Gary, starting from Tinklers the first big field with the pond in the middle, if you head towards the corner of the field where the footpath goes to Anchorfields, there are a couple of large oaks by the stile the Tawny is usually ta the top of the trunk in the fork of the tree, It'll often just sit there while people walk right underneath it. Hope you can understand my directions!
John Edwards

Return to “2010 Recent Sightings Submissions”