From G't Knowley to Heapey on the trail of the mystery bird

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

From G't Knowley to Heapey on the trail of the mystery bird

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Two weeks ago my son was walking towards White Coppice when he saw what he described as an all white bird of a size between that of a Buzzard and a Peregrine Falcon, he did not see its head. On a walk again last week he saw it again in the vicinity of Heapey No. 3 Lodge and again earlier this week when he had a better view of it and told me what he thought it was. I had a walk from home to the far end of Heapey No. 3 Lodge this afternoon with the hope that I could see it and photograph it. During the walk I disturbed a Roe Deer (twice), heard a possible Willow Tit and saw the following:-
Raven, Snipe, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit (two separate parties), Chaffinch, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Wood Pigeon, Wren, Hedge Sparrow, Lesser Redpoll (two flew over calling), Collared Dove, Redwing, Jay, Robin, Moorhen. Heapey No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 Lodges were all frozen over apart from small areas at the inflow ends on each. These areas had 22 Mallard, 2 Coot and 8 Mallard and 31 Mallard respectively. On the south side of No. 3 Lodge was a flock of 60+ thrushes mainly Field fare and a few Redwing.
And yes I did see the mystery Bird, it was in the fields to the south east of Heapey No. 3 Lodge - it is a Leucistic Carrion Crow. Wings, tail and lower body appear to be white, with a grey mantle and dark grey, approaching black head. I took a few long distance photos in poor light, the best one (of a poor bunch) is attached.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Len,

Nice work.

Chris.
Bryan Thomas
Goldeneye

Post by Bryan Thomas »

Well done.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Thanks Chris and Bryan, but I will try again to get a clearer shot.

Could this bird be the possible Gyr Falcon as sighted at White Coppice in October?
David Beattie
Peregrine

Mr Ree

Post by David Beattie »

Could it be a leucistic raven?

Return to “2010 Recent Sightings Submissions”