Tawny Owl & Siskins on Tinklers Lane.

John Edwards
Peregrine

Tawny Owl & Siskins on Tinklers Lane.

Post by John Edwards »

As it got light this morning I noticed the Blackbirds and Blue tits were getting excited about something then I noticed the Tawny Owl perched in the cherry tree at the bottom of the garden. I got my binoculars on to it to get a better look in the poor light, it was sitting motionless with its feathers puffed out making it look even larger, I noticed frost on it's back and head looking like it had been perched there for a while. After 10 minutes it still hadn't moved I began to think it had died and was frozen to the branch, I took a chance and gradually moved towards it very slowly, when I got about 3 yards away it very slowly turned it's head towards me so at least I knew it was alive! Apart from the slight turn of its head it didn't move so I reckoned it must have ben a very sick bird. I retreated back inside wondering what to do next I didn't want to try and rescue it myself and thought about calling the RSPB though they'd probably be snowed under ( no pun intended) in this bad weather. Anyway I looked out of the window and it had gone, I searched the bushes under the tree in case it had fallen there but no sign, I hope it doesn't become an easy meal for a cat (they're fat enough already).
10-00a.m a flock of 30+ Siskins feeding in the front garden of the big house on the corner of Tinklers Lane, the biggest flock I've seen for a long time.
Also 2 Buzzards, 20+ Lapwing, 2 Snipe and 2 Curlew flew over calling.
John Edwards

Return to “2010 Recent Sightings Submissions”