eccleston st marys church to pincock brow along the yarrow.

gary lilley
Avocet

eccleston st marys church to pincock brow along the yarrow.

Post by gary lilley »

the walk this morning started off with a strange sighting of a woodcock down the church walks (a path from the main road to the church) as i was getting near to the church a woodcock walked out of the hedgerow about 20 feet in front of me it continued to walk down the path before jumping up then landing again and dissapearing in the hedgrow as i got to the area there was no sign of the bird.
river yarrow, plenty of ducks, around 30 mallard and similar amount of teal, male and female goosander, 2 buzzard, 2 grey wagtail, billinge wood held plenty of redwing and blackbirds all feeding in the leaf litter also heard a nuthatch.
back lane back to eccleston, 40 lapwing on a field, 5 snipe took off a field and 1 snipe took out of a ditch, 2 bullfinch, 1 treecreeper,1 kestrel, 1cock pheasant, small flock of goldfinch, one thing ive noticed this winter so far there are very few goldcrests about ive only seen 2 in eccleston so far.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

There appears to have been a population crash of Goldcrests, Gary. There are very few locally, and there have been very few on passage at bird observatories such as Heysham and Bardsey Island.
Could everyone submit all records of Goldcrest, please.

Return to “2009 Recent Sightings Submissions”