little ringed plover

Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

little ringed plover

Post by Dave Eyes »

Pair of little ringed plovers on the stony land (described as 'area of future development' on the information boards) at Mossfield. They tried to breed here last summer but were continually disturbed by trucks and kids on motorbikes. Although there haven't been many trucks over the winter, there are signs announcing the forthcoming 2nd phase of development so I fear they're going to be unsuccessful again.
The skylarks are courting and I also saw a pair of kestrels mating yesterday although I think they are nesting on the opposite side of the road, towards Hartwood.
Finally, I've been browsing through last year's logbook and it's worth noting that the first week of April last year produced green sandpiper, wheatear and an osprey in the Mossfield area.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Which log book is that, Dave? If you have records for last year which you could let me have, I would be very much obliged, as I am currently compiling the Society's Annual Bird Report for 2008.

The same applies to anyone else who may not have submitted records for last year!!

Neil
David Beattie
Peregrine

mossfield

Post by David Beattie »

Went looking for LRP. I had crow, magpie, white wagtail, pied wagtail, black headed gull, skylark singing its heart out :D , meadow pipit, but no LRP :(
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

I had better luck than David at 6 pm.

Thanks for the sighting Dave. Here's one of your two birds.

Chris.

http://gallery.chorleynats.org.uk/main. ... alNumber=2
Last edited by Chris Rae on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

LRP 31.3.09

Post by Neil Southworth »

One there at 7.30 pm plus two Oystercatcher, 3 Pied Wagtail, and singing Skylark.

Neil
Dave
Raven

Re: mossfield

Post by Dave »

David Beattie wrote:white wagtail, pied wagtail,
Dave I have never heard of a White wagtails are they the same as pied Wagtails or different, is Mossfeild the area of industrial Chorley North Clicky Link Google Map , I know lots of places but have never known the names, so its interesting to find them out, is there a map that I can get that will give local names of places please, like I know areas of birkacre and now i know they have area names such as Sunny Mount, Daisy Hill, doh forgot the name of the woods that Nora and I were talking about the other day at birkacre the woods backs onto Eaves Green, we were talking about the GSW there

TIA

Dave
Visit Our Website [url=http://"http://www.holidays-revealed.com/"]Clicky Linky[/url] Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

Dave, l just bought a Lancs A-Z from asda, reduced to a tenner.
It mentions most of the woods names such as spring wood, burgh wood, etc. Moss field plantation is at the back of the Wolseley building across from the multipart building.
please note the Phillips version of the A-Z isnt as detailed

Return to “2009 Recent Sightings Submissions”