Buckshaw Jack Snipe

Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Buckshaw Jack Snipe

Post by Dave Eyes »

Walked my dogs over the areas of waste ground on the industrial estate and flushed 14 snipe, at least 2 of which were jack snipe. Last year I saw a regular jack snipe in this vicinity until the first week of May but unfortunately the new houses are now encroaching the area where I would see it. I must emphasise that I don't make a habit of terrorising ground dwelling birds with my dogs, they are kept on extending leads and I only check this area fortnightly.
David Beattie
Peregrine

reserve

Post by David Beattie »

I found the reserve today !! meadow pipit, crows, woodpigeon, moorhen. magpies and lots of gulls.
Is this the area where the Jack snipe are supposed to be?
Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Post by Dave Eyes »

There are 2 areas where I look. Firstly, follow the road from the A6 past Wolseley and then past the stony ground on your right which has been prepared for future development. There is a boggy, grassy area between here and the new houses, this is where last year's long staying jack snipe was located. The 2nd place is further down the road on the opposite side. It's a much bigger area of land which has not been developed at all. Last year dunlin were occasioally present around the pools here although I haven't seen any this year. Most important of all, don't forget your wellies!

Return to “2009 Recent Sightings Submissions”