Buckshaw Barn Owl

Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Buckshaw Barn Owl

Post by Dave Eyes »

Barn owl flew over the road and circled around Multipart car park at 8pm last night. I occasionally see tawny owls but this is the first barn owl I've seen here. It flew back across to the Mossfield Reserve after a few minutes.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Dave ,

What and where is the Mossfield Reseve ?

Chris.
Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Post by Dave Eyes »

hi Chris,
Mossfield is the area behind Wolseley (opposite Multipart). Information boards have been put up and I'm fairly sure this is what they've called it. I walk my dogs here regularly and the area does occasionally throw up good sightings. Last year I had jack snipe, green sandpiper, little ringed plover, wheatear, osprey overhead and quite a few others.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Post by Chris Rae »

Thanks Dave, but where do you gain access and where can one park ?

Chris.
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

used to see a barn owl regular round there when it was fields
Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Post by Dave Eyes »

Work is still ongoing at the Buckshaw end but presumably there will eventually be access from there. At the moment access is by a path opposite Multipart, between Wolseley and the adjacent pond.
Carol
Goldeneye

Post by Carol »

Am I right in presuming that you see the Tawny Owl near Multipart as well? How often have you seen one there recently?
Carol
Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Post by Dave Eyes »

Not seen a tawny for a month or two, heard a female for a few nights about a fortnight ago. I do see them in the same area and also around Doorway To Value. Although I've not heard it recently, a male tawny occasionally roosts in the tall trees beside Doorway To Value.
Chris Rae
Peregrine

Mossfield NR.

Post by Chris Rae »

Went to find Dave Eyes' Mossfield Nature Reserve today and was quite impressed. Undulating landfill covered with grass and newly planted saplings and bushes next to the old woods alongside the golf club. See Local Views for pictures.
David Beattie
Peregrine

Lost

Post by David Beattie »

I went to try to find this area but found two Wolseys. Should we go south from Multipart or West?
Dave Eyes
Sparrowhawk

Post by Dave Eyes »

The entrance is next to the Wolsely unit directly opposite Multipart (the Wolsely nearest to the A6). Saw the barn owl again last night at 8.15 pm, the first time since the original sighting. I'm not too surprised because it has been raining every night up to last night.
David Beattie
Peregrine

lost

Post by David Beattie »

Thank you
flyingfox
Goldeneye

THE BUCKSHAW BARN OWL

Post by flyingfox »

ive been hearing tawny owls hooting from my front door for a few nights now but last night as i was visiting my local pub (sea view) a BARN OWL flew over my head ..... awesome

dave

Return to “2009 Recent Sightings Submissions”