Slab path over great hill

This board is for postings of a general nature, which don't fit into other categories. The postings must however relate to Natural History / Landscape
John Catt
Buzzard

Slab path over great hill

Post by John Catt »

Hello
Can anyone tell me when and who laid the steps up and over great hill and why they were not completed. I've been wondering about this for ages.

Cheers John
Keith Woan
Goldeneye

Re: Slab path over great hill

Post by Keith Woan »

John,
Memory fades as time goes by but I estimate the slabs were put in place about 20 years ago to combat severe path erosion and the boggy ground heading towards Horden Stoops. The work was done, I think, by United Utilities and because the slabs were so large and heavy most, if not all, were flown in slung in nets underneath a helicopter. Goodness knows how much it cost and this is possibly why they didn't go any further.
MarkF
Raven

Re: Slab path over great hill

Post by MarkF »

I'm sure that UU were stated to complete the laying of the slabs to complete the whole route from Great Hill to Hordern Stoops some years back. I'm not sure about UU's commitment to the moors - the fact that there's not even information boards present any more at Lead Mines Clough speaks volumes, even though all the timber numbering around the features (the sough, the water wheel etc) is still there.

Return to “General Topics”