verybusy day in garden today

andy leach
Golden Eagle

verybusy day in garden today

Post by andy leach »

birds in the garden today 8 Bullfinch 3m 5f 6 Greenfinch 4 Goldfinch 6 Chaffinch lots of Blue and Great tits 4 Coal tits 7 Blackbirds 2Nuthatch m Great spot 2 Woodpigeon 3 Collared dove 5 sheppies 2 house spugies 2 Robins 3 Dunnock 2 Wren 5 long tailed tits and i missed them all due to work but Barn owl hunting the road side on highfield rd croston @ 16.47 was great to see so close
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Now we know where all the Bullfinches have gone! - that Andy and his nets have caught them all!! - how are you Andy, your garden sounds like it should be a reserve!!

Regards,
Brian
Carol
Goldeneye

Post by Carol »

8 bullfinch?? What are you feeding them on?

Love the local lingo - we should use it more often. Sheppies I recall from my Grandma. But spugies - I've never heard of. Is it a Lanky word?

The only spuggy I can recall is spearmint gum! And is pronounced -uggy or -udgie? Apols if I sound pedantic but I could put these words in a poem.

But there may be more - can we create a dictionary of Lanky words for birds? So come folks - who know any more?
Carol
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

When I was little my dad used to call lapwings.peewees.I am sure Andy could fill a book of them. Nora.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

The proper Lanky name for Lapwing is Tewitt (pronounced 'chewit').

Neil
andy leach
Golden Eagle

bullys in the garden

Post by andy leach »

The food the bullfinch go mad for is a cage bird food called red band finch mix which can be bought @ croston corn mill it smells of aniseed [yummy] max number of bullfinch in garden at any one time has been 12 5m 7f most of them wearing B.T.O Jewellery of course.

Return to “2008 Recent Sightings Submissions”