Bucksahw 30 Nov

Carol
Goldeneye

Bucksahw 30 Nov

Post by Carol »

Thanks for posting the directions on the site Brian. Got there about 9.30am but maybe a bit too late. 1 jack snipe, 2 reed buntings, 1 stonechat, small flock of meadow pipits c5 birds, pied wagtail.

Do you think these birds could have been here all the time the factory was there - it would be a well protected area. Or have they just moved in? Sad to think we'll lose these shy birds when building begins.
Carol
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

From what I know of the site the birds would not have been there when the ROF was operating - I think this area was covered in buildings etc - perhaps Joyce can remember what was there from her days at the ROF? - or is it still classified!?
Jack Snipe require shallow fresh (occasionally brackish) water with a good deal of vegitation and I suspect that the wide open aspect of Buckshaw suits them very well with excellent all round visibility. I suspect from the air it is also very noticiable making it a target. Perhaps it glows in the dark!? from previous activities!!
Anyway, whatever it is it is certainly one of our more interesting sites and I think we should make the most of it, sensibly, while we can.
However, one word of caution, I'm not advocating everyone going tripping across the area constantly trying to put up as many Jack Snipe and other birds as possible - I think we need to show restraint and leave the birds to feed - bird welfare should be our main concern - once we've seen a bird I think we should leave it at that and not go on flushing birds trying to reach some spectacularly high total
By all means go and enjoy but see what you need then back off and leave the un-flushed birds in peace or we could drive them away permanently

Regards,
Brian

Return to “2008 Recent Sightings Submissions”