parasitic bolete

tony
Raven

parasitic bolete

Post by tony »

found near the watermans cottage going towards hugh bullough this parasitic bolete growing on common earthballs, this wasnt an isolatd case, as there were several within a 50 foot stretch.
According to my guide this is a rare fungi.
Joyce or Jack, could you tell me if this is rare.
xerocomus parasiticus
I have put a photo of it in my gallery
Thanks
Tony
Hewitt03
Goldeneye

wab

Post by Hewitt03 »

I am no good at fungi IDs. I only report what has been confirmed on the website www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk . I send in all my fungi finds and many people put forward their suggestions for IDs. Its very good for situations like this. I would recommend a visit.

As for your bolete - it looks like nothing I have seen before! I have no idea but am sure Joyce will. :D
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Parasitic Bolete

Post by Joyce Riley »

Your photo Tony clearly shows this unusual fungus. Although some books describe the species as rare, the 'new' Roger Phillip's Mushrooms book describes it as 'occasional, sometimes locally common'. From my experience, I would agree with that description as I have seen it locally in Lever Park at Rivington and also in Duxbury Woods, plus several other places outside our area. Your findings would also confirm that.
Books often vary considerably as to the frequency of occurrence of species. Another example was Jack's Parrot Waxcap from a while ago which he thought from his book was rare, whereas one of my books states 'very common'. In my experience, that species is one that is usually found in grasslands that are good for waxcaps.
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

Thanks for your help.
It is true that some fungi books contradict others, sometimes disagreeing over deciduous/coniferous woodland, out of our 4 books only 1 had this bolete included so i knew somebody on here would be able to help.
Thanks again
Tony
ps a great field for waxcaps is over the bridge at the far end of duxbury woods

Return to “2008 Recent Sightings Submissions”