Did anyone else see?

ianball
Peregrine

Did anyone else see?

Post by ianball »

At about 3pm on Sunday two cormorant type birds flew over my back garden in the Gillibrand estate. No bins at hand but one bird was big and one was significantly smaller. Assume juv bird but difficult to find in literature how much smaller juveniles are from adults? Even the BTO website has no measurements. Inevitably my thoughts were to very lost Shag but... Earlier in day was staggered to watch buzzard drift over the roof of the house opposite and down the road in front of me. :D
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Ian,

During August, there was an influx of Shags to inland waters across the country, including one at Elton reservoir, Bury. Therefore, it must be possible that your bird was a Shag. However, we'll never know!

PS You should see Buzzards regularly from the Gillibrand Estate, especially over Parker's Wood etc.

Neil
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Thanks for that Neil. I've seen up to three buzzards distantly from the backgarden but I find it fascinating that some of the birds are now looking closer to the urban environment for possible food. Interesting about the Shag influx, my dad (also a keen birdwatcher) was with me and was surprised at the size difference. Shame no-one saw anything on the local waters. Maybe next time :)

Return to “2008 Recent Sightings Submissions”