Cuckoo still here

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Cuckoo still here

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Morning walk: Brinscall-Coppice Stile via top of bluff-up Dean Black Brook to Gt Hill Farm-return via straight fenceline across the moor.

Nice to be out in the cooling rain.

Birds seen/heard:

Cuckoo - heard calling male on 2 occasions, saw it flying E near the edge of the woods. First noted on 14th April, they are having a lengthy Spring break here, and their calls/activites have been a near-constant during many lockdown walks. Suspect this straggler will shift south on the back of the low pressure system we're expecting this weekend?

Wren (singing) 8, Woodpigeon 11, Jackdaw 1, House Sparrow 2, Robin 3 (1 Juv), Chaffinch 3, Blackcap 1, Willow Warbler (singing/calling) 6, Blue Tit 2,
Chiffchaff 2, Blackbird 5, Dunnock (singing) 1, Common Whitethroat (singing) 1, Goldcrest 1, Carrion Crow 13, Meadow Pipits >70, Pheasant 1, Linnet 2 inc a superbly coloured male in full finery, Swift 1 flying over the top of the bluff, Stonechat 5, Curlew (2 pairs in probable breeding locations - supplied locations previously to Neil via PM). Skylark (singing) 2, Reed Bunting (singing) 3 along DBB, BH Gull 1

Grasshopper Warbler - at least one (possibly 2) reeling away mid-morning in heavy rain from the reedy area between Drinkwaters and DBB. I agree with Pete S's earlier post, I think GH's have done well this Spring. I've counted 4 in this area recently.

Mammals: plenty of fresh molehills in the grazed area of The Temples, I looked at a few to see if there was movement, but no.

Return to “Recent Sightings”