Swifts Brinscall

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

John Catt
Buzzard

Swifts Brinscall

Post by John Catt »

Just seen around 50 swifts at the top brinscall over the cricket field. Amazing sight, not seen more than 3 together before this.
paul b
Raven

Re: Swifts Brinscall

Post by paul b »

There is going to be an attempt to create a database of swift nests in Chorley centre soon, John -if we have enough volunteers we could also survey Brinscall.

Swift Conservation recommend
Best times -from half an hour before dawn to two hours after,and from two hours before dusk to half an hour after.
Weather -Warm to hot and dry days are best.
What to look for -Swifts flying round and round buildings and along streets at or just above roof top level and below, screaming.
John Catt
Buzzard

Post by John Catt »

One or two nests on chapel street which are the 3 i see regularly. Also seen a couple of birds on bury lane withnell and abbey village mill has been a strong hold in recent years, but ive not seen them there this year. They seem to have gone from all the other sites around here. Roofs and gutters just too good these days. Such a shame for a bird that was once so common.
Phil Djali
Barn Owl

Post by Phil Djali »

On a circular walk taking in Brindle today, and there are swifts nesting under the eaves on Denham Lane - at Top o' the Lane.
lindsay
Golden Eagle

Post by lindsay »

I saw that sighting of swifts on the 19th . Amazing sight. They screamed through my Withnell garden barely above roof height. A friend who knows suggested it was either adults flying before the rain as insects gather then, or juveniles gathering. Whatevet a marvellous sight. Gone back to the regular 3-4 now!
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

I saw 8 flying over and near Withnell Quarry yesterday (Tues) afternoon.

Return to “Recent Sightings”