Garden birds.

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Garden birds.

Post by gary lilley »

Male bullfinch just been in feeding on sunflower hearts first for a long while , dunnock feeding a youngster , blackbirds still eating the tadpoles , 4 swift seen regular .
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Garden birds.

Post by Neil Southworth »

Juvenile Goldfinch on the sunflower feeder yesterday. They soon learn, don't they!
Mark Cookson
Goldeneye

Post by Mark Cookson »

I had male woodpecker on fat ball feeder for 1st time in a while today.... also had nuthatch and coal tit
lydia rose
Raven

Post by lydia rose »

Blackbird alarm calls at 6.40pm alerted me to regular early evening visit for past two weeks of a Jay chasing house sparrows out of the shrubs. Trying for novice flyers presumably, though I've not witnessed any downings.
Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

We have nuthatches every year nesting in the same hole in a dead oak tree. For the past week or so the birds have been busy backwards and forwards to the nest but, all of a sudden they are gone. This happens every year. I don't think they have come to any harm (although a woodpecker was having a look at the nest site earlier today - after they had gone). We never see the young birds; they just seem to transfer operations to a new site once they have fledged until they start returning as independent birds.

Apart from the usual tits and finches etc the highlight at present is a pair of bullfinches that come, often together, and take sunflower hearts from the feeder just outside the kitchen window.

Prize for cheek goes to two mallard that come either singly or together many nights and walk up to the patio and wait to get fed, spend five minutes with us and then fly off back to wherever.

Hedgehog and fox are regular night time visitors.

Return to “Recent Sightings”