A brilliant first for Hartwood!! - Cuckoos!

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

A brilliant first for Hartwood!! - Cuckoos!

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

At 4-55pm today I was in the garden when I heard and saw not one but two CUCKOOS! Flying over at around 50 foot, great view, think it was a male chasing female and 'cuckooing' loudly. They disappeared in a southerly direction - towards Aldi! 36 years here but never seen or heard a Cuckoo around Hartwood - probably would not have seen them if we had not been in lockdown - brilliant!
Brian
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: A brilliant first for Hartwood!! - Cuckoos!

Post by Neil Southworth »

Great record Brian. I once found a Dunnock's nest with a Cuckoo's egg in it along Halliwell Lane before the M61 was built, so they're still coming back to the same area!
Brian Derbyshire
Goldeneye

Post by Brian Derbyshire »

Well we've been here 36 years and this is a first, we have, over the years, had and still get many super birds, Waxwings once, Kingfisher on a shortcut to river Chor, Willow Tits daily, Buzzards very occasionally in our big Oak tree plus a variety of warblers in or just over the garden plus Mallard, Moorhen , GS Woodpeckers, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Redshank, Whimbrel over etc - but Cuckoos! - brilliant!!
Brian
Ian Whittle
Barn Owl

Post by Ian Whittle »

A good spot! I used to hear and see cuckoos every year in the Pear Tree Lane/Euxton Lane/Empress Way area from when we moved into the area in 1977 until the early 1990's. My last record was of two cuckoos flying over the house and calling on 31 May 1993. Maybe we might hear them again!!
peter west
Sparrowhawk

Post by peter west »

Interesting that Brian, I live Astley village but back onto Hospital and Saturday afternoon sat In garden I thought I heard a Cuckoo in distance calling but thought I was going mad and just ignored it, at least I'm not going mad I think

Return to “Recent Sightings”