Early start?

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

flyingfox
Goldeneye

Early start?

Post by flyingfox »

I have noticed over the last week or so that our local birds, Pigeon's, Collared doves and Robins have started to breed and next doors bird box is already being used by Blue tits starting to nest.

Next door have had Blue tits breeding most years and i'm sure that this is a bit early?
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Early start?

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Chris,

Just to back up your experiences, I drove down to Winchester today for a meeting and stopped off at Warwick services on the M40. Adjacent the services were a small group of trees in which 4 pairs of Rooks were actively nest building (and the nests were already looking well built, although they do re-furbish last year's nests).
Paul King
Buzzard

Re: Early start?

Post by Paul King »

We have 3 Schwegler woodcrete nest boxes in the wood behind our house which can easily be seen from the kitchen.

One has a 28mm hole, the second 32mm, and the 3rd is one especially for nuthatches and has a 45mm hole.

The 28mm box has had Blue Tits checking it out since last October.
To date, the 28mm and 32mm boxes have Blue Tits in attendance (not building) with Nuthatches and Great Tits checking out the 45mm box.

Last year all 3 boxes were successful with Blue Tits, Great Tits and Nuthatches all nesting.

It's odds-on that the Blue Tits in the 32mm box will be evicted by either the Great Tits or Nuthatches!
The Great Outdoors..... How Great is that! :-)

Return to “Recent Sightings”