Belmont Toad patrol 2020

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

paul b
Raven

Belmont Toad patrol 2020

Post by paul b »

We intend to be back at Ward's Reservoir, Belmont to carry out our third year of toad patrolling very soon -could be only weeks away as Froglife have reports of toads moving in Surrey and Hampshire now. Belmont's that bit cooler but even so...climate change etc.

Two requests -please sign up to join the 8 or so patrollers at Ward's -it can be wet and cold I must say but is very rewarding and does make a difference.
Belmont can also be surprisingly balmy too :)
Few skills needed- just some equipment (torch,reflective gear, gloves and of course, waterproofs) and enthusiasm!
Reply to this message if interested.

Secondly, another appeal for reports of any other toad crossings of roads you know about where mortality of them (and frogs, newts etc) is an issue. There is another registered patrol in the Gillibrand area of Chorley ( contact details at Froglife https://www.froglife.org) but are there none in Croston, Ecceleston, Coppull, Adlington and anywhere else?
Please let me know.

Many thanks
Paul Brennan
paul b
Raven

Re: Belmont Toad patrol 2020

Post by paul b »

Forgot to mention Paul H's find of a freshly dead toad at Yarrow Reservoir a week or so ago -so movement here in our area also, and therefore the need to be ready to get started.
JayC20
Blue Tit

Post by JayC20 »

Hi.
I’m very interested in joining the toad patrol for at Belmont road.
Please get in touch if I can help
thanks
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

JayC20
Many thanks for the offer of help
Please see updates in the "news" section. The migration could start anytime soon but is most probable on a warm, damp evening.

It's important to look at the advice for patrollers on the Froglife website
https://www.froglife.org/what-we-do/toa ... patroller/
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

An update : as many will know -or could have predicted-the patrol has been cancelled for this year as we are unable to travel from Chorley (the majority of patrollers are CDNHS members from the town).

Some sad news-Steve Martin, the Patrol's contact and great help in Belmont reports a total of 60 dead toads at our crossing at Ward's Reservoir over Thursday and Friday nights.
Even more depressing is Steve's finding of 135+ toads and 10 frogs at Belmont Reservoir! We don't patrol here because the traffic speed on the A675 would make it too dangerous; nevertheless, still shocking I think.

We had hoped that a reduced traffic flow due to the Covid19 restrictions would have meant fewer casualties but alas no.
In the big scheme of things, of a much, much lesser significance to what is happening to our people,of course-but still a great pity I feel.

Return to “Recent Sightings”