Year list challenge

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Year list challenge

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Congratulations to John Frankland on winning the challenge and to all who competed. I am sure Neil will confirm, but I think 145 species is a new record.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Year list challenge

Post by John Frankland »

Cheers Len.

Highlights for me were the Hoopoe and the Great Grey Shrike together with the autumn waderfest on Croston Moss plus the juvenile Cuckoo. Also the Yellow Wagtail and Whinchat in the same view on the same Eyes Lane muck heap. Hen Harrier on the moors above White Coppice and Black Redstart on Winter Hill were also special.

The year has ended on a sad note for me with the passing of my father on Sunday. Dad was responsible for introducing me to birding in 1976 following a trip to Bempton Cliffs which was enough to give us both the passion for birds. We spent many years of my childhood caravanning as a family around the UK at top birding haunts including Norfolk, Dorset, Farne Islands, Scotland and Wales. Also a trip to Majorca for some continental birding.

So I’m dedicating the 145 species to Dad who was always interested to hear about the birds of Chorley I’d recorded even though in later years he struggled to get out himself.

Many thanks to all the Chorley Nats members who have taken part and who I’ve met during the year - I look forward to competing again in 2020.

Happy New Year to you all.

PS - predictions for 2020 are back to Cettis Warbler in Croston and a long shot of a springtime Black Winged Stilt at Eyes Lane.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Sorry to hear about your dad John. Please accept our sympathy. It's always a big loss to lose a parent.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Congratulations John on the record winning score of 145. The overall total recorded in the year is 162, following the late addition of 5 species from Belmont - Scaup, Bittern, Arctic Tern, Black Tern and Water Pipit.

I have put a Roll of Honour of previous winners on the Year List Challenge Board. If anyone thinks we had a challenge in 2012, please let me know!
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Thanks Neil. Much appreciated.

Cheers, John.
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Well done John , a great year list .
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

Congratulations john on your final total.

Return to “Recent Sightings”