Winter Hill & Georges Lane

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Winter Hill & Georges Lane

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Went to Winter Hill this morning, but completely covered by low cloud/fog so I went along Georges Lane/Belmont Road and round the back of the Pike instead. It was also foggy there so very little seen However I did record the following:

Birds - 2 Meadow Pipit, 8+ Carrion Crows, overflying Golden Plover heard, 6 Great Tit, 4 Blue Tit, 3 Coal Tit, 2 Robin, 1 Pheasant, and 4 Siskin.

Fungi - Pine Tuft

I also noted that there are now new notices on Mast Road saying that the gates will be locked from 5pm Friday to 9am monday, although they were still open this morning.

Also noted 2 Roe Deer in the Meadow below Lower Rivington Reservoir.
Neville Root
Raven

Re: Winter Hill & Georges Lane

Post by Neville Root »

10.30-11.30am: Windless and sunny on Winter Hill later on (after the rugby). The long staying fem/juv black redstart was showing well on the rocket-shaped mast, although very mobile due to the presence of 2 raven and a kestrel also on the mast. Several mipits, single goldfinch and 4/5 stonechat around the base of the mast. Elsewhere I flushed a female ring ouzel from the wet grass, near the main compound. Nice to see Ian B and his dog up there. As Len said, watch out for the gate closure, there was someone working up there today hence maybe why left open.

Black redstart takes Chorley species total for the year to 139
ianball
Peregrine

Re: Winter Hill & Georges Lane

Post by ianball »

Black Redstart on the mast itself this afternoon with at least 9 Stonechat and 12+ Meadow Pipit on the fencing. Peregrine, 3 Kestrel, 3 Raven, 2 Reed Bunting also seen. Oh yes, and a Neville :-)

Comma and Small Tortoiseshell flying around near the top as well.

Black Redstart (as well as a recount for this year) sees me to 128.

Return to “Recent Sightings”