Eyes lane .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Eyes lane .

Post by gary lilley »

Early morning visit in the rain , plenty of geese, 4 mute swan , plenty of mallard . 6 pintail , 10 + wigeon , 5 gadwall , 10+ teal , 10 lapwing , 2 snipe , plenty of pinkfoot passing over , 2 buzzard , 2 kestrel , 1 sparrowhawk , 2 redwing , 2 skylark , lots of gulls ,
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Eyes lane .

Post by John Frankland »

Late afternoon visit as I couldn’t make it on Sunday (see below)

9 *Pintail (associating as groups of 5, 3 and a 1)
2 Shoveler
7 Wigeon
Few Teal and plenty of Mallard although I couldn’t pick out any of the Gadwall.
20 Lapwing
5 Snipe
4 Heron incl one standing on a hedge !
c400 mixed gulls
2 Kestrels including Jessy and 3 Buzzard

Meadow Lane Floods
6 Dunlin
c100 Lapwing
c500 mixed gulls

Out of area but the reason I couldn’t get to Eyes Lane on Sunday was because I was down in Cheshire playing golf yesterday and today at Carden Park.

Star bird encounter was the best ever view I’ve had of a Hobby which I saw heading straight for me, passed just over my head less than 5m overhead before landing on a barn about 20m away ! It even allowed me to creep to a better viewing with sun behind only 10m away. Think it as a young bird so it knew no fear ! A fabulous moment and a fabulous bird. Also got Green Woodpecker.

*the Pintail takes me to 141 species for the year.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Tuesday morning quick duck update:

Pintail just 1
Shoveler 1f
Wigeon none
Gadwall 3
Tufted Duck 6 were new in
Plus the usuals although no waders apart from a single Lapwing.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

Much the same at lunchtime, very blustery and the ducks were mostly in the further pools and hard to see amongst the grass - no pintail or shoveler seen, but gadwall (4), tufties (6) and wigeon (c.30) present. Everything got flushed (geese excepted) when 3 buzzard and 4 herons flew over.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Never a dull moment down Eyes Lane! I was standing by the bridge scoping the floods when I heard two or three police sirens which I assumed were on the A59. But the sound got louder and louder so I turned round and looked down the lane towards Sollom and saw blue flashing lights approaching. It was quite an impressive sight to see a white Audi pursued by 4 police cars crossing the bridge at speed, much to the dismay of a woman with two dogs walking up the lane who had to dive into the ditch to get out of the way. I presume they caught him eventually unless they were just doing a bit of practicing, which might be the case because it was a fairly sedate procession along Eyes Lane.
Anyway, lots of birds on view, very flighty at times:-
Mute Swan 4, Canada Goose c150, Greylag Goose 2, Mallard 40+, Wigeon 20+, Pintail 2, Shoveler (fem/juve) 2, Tufted Duck 4, Coot 2, Moorhen, Buzzard, Kestrel, Lapwing c40, BH Gull c300, LBB Gull 2, Skylark 2 or 3, Starling c500

Pintail takes me to 131
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Fabulous spot - sounds like the best sighting down Eyes Lane all year !!

A more mundane 5 Pintail, c10 Wigeon and c40 Lapwing were there this evening in fading light.

Earlier on the Meadow Lane floods were increased numbers of gulls and c200 Lapwing. The only other wader was a single Ringed Plover.

Large flock of Pink footed Geese in a distant field estimated at 1000.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

4.45-5.30pm - usuals were about again tonight but not moving about much in the poor light. Wildfowl difficult to count but single pintail, tufties, shoveler (fem/juv) and several wigeon were present, also coot, moorhen, greylag, Canadas, lapwing, starling, kestrel. Waders still hard to find here and also on the Meadow Lane floods.

Shoveler (and pintail from Sun 6th) takes Chorley species total for the year to 138.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Big increase in wildfowl this morning.

Pintail 30+ including some moulting drakes
Shoveler 3 including a moulting drake
Mallard 200+
No Wigeon, Tufted or Gadwall spotted.
Canada Goose 400+
Little Grebe 1 on flood
Lapwing 20