Common Bank Lodge - interesting woodpecker...

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

ianball
Peregrine

Common Bank Lodge - interesting woodpecker...

Post by ianball »

A woodpecker 'single note' calling in trees near the dam. Shorter and higher pitched than the expected Great Spotted Woodpecker call. Very good match for Lesser Spot on Xeno-canto. Bird not seen though. Great Spotted Woodpecker also on the meadow and noticeably different call.
The Little Grebe's have hatched a second brood of youngsters. At least one young noisily pestering the adults on the lodge. Dipper and Grey Wagtail on the outflow stream.
30+ House Martins still about, with Sparrowhawk and Buzzard through.
Neville Root
Raven

Re: Common Bank Lodge - interesting woodpecker...

Post by Neville Root »

I've run into the same woods a few times Ian after hearing a different drumming sound from the usual great spotted, been disappointed so far......but you never know
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was reported by an experienced birder along the river in Yarrow Meadows (Dob Brow Pastures) 3 or 4 years ago, so it's quite possible.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

At the beginning of April I had what I thought was Nuthatch doing a LSW Impression - although I never saw the bird and made the comment as there were Nuthatch in the area doing their usual call. Joyce Riley had been in contact with me back then and told me about the history of LSW in this area. Certainly going to keep the eyes even more open over the next few days.

Return to “Recent Sightings”