Croston/mawdesley moss .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by gary lilley »

Another visit this evening , a good raptor day , buzzard , peregrine ( chasing bh gull ) ,several kestrel , sparrowhawk , 2 hobbys chasing martin / swallow and catching one ( possibly adult with youngster ) , juv cuckoo present still showing well last seen flying into the railway area at dusk ( near to crossing ) , small flock of lapwing , 1 snipe , 2 golden plover dropped in late on near to alma wood .
Neville Root
Raven

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by Neville Root »

6.00-9.30pm - dipped on the greenshank (pair flew off before I got there), but impressive to see a couple of hobby's take out a hirundine and good, relatively close views of the juvenile cuckoo (first one I've ever seen I think). Other sightings as per Gary, also wheatear (2), grey partridge (3 calling at dusk). Possible little owl calling close to a regular spot, but not definitive.

First ever Chorley hobby(s) takes species total for the year to 130
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss .

Post by John Frankland »

Couple of hours on the mosses tonight.

Plenty of Hobby food in the form of 3 main groups of hirundines totalling c100 birds (c50 far end of Great Close, c20 in field near Great Hanging Bridge and c30 near Carr Lane). Approx split of 50 House Martin, 40 Swallow and 10 Swift.

No Hobby but 3-4 Kestrel and 2 Buzzard.

No sign of Cuckoo.

Only waders were 3 Lapwing although I couldn’t get near the Alma Wood flood after being told by the owner of the level crossing cottage that the road was private even to walkers.

Approx 80 Goldfinch, 6 Linnet and 4 Mistle Thrush were the best of the rest of a relatively poor evening after the recent highlights.

Return to “Recent Sightings”