Croston/mawdesley moss greenshank / cuckoo !

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Croston/mawdesley moss greenshank / cuckoo !

Post by gary lilley »

2 greenshank still present this morning along with 2 green sandpipers on the alma wood pool ( greenshank flew off high westward ) , also plenty of pied wagtail and moorhen with chicks on the pool , more rain forcast this week so hopefully more waders will be turning up , john,s juv cuckoo was still present along sumners lane feeding in a stubble field and showing very well , after watching the cuckoo im pretty sure my close encounter with a sparrowhawk along the same lane last friday was probably this juv cuckoo, great looking bird ! , also 2 sparrowhaw seen , 2 buzzard , several whitethroat , large flock of starlings , distant flock of lapwing .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Croston/mawdesley moss greenshank / cuckoo !

Post by John Frankland »

Glad that you got the Cuckoo and good to see you this morning for the mini waderfest !

Additional birds for me included c75 Lapwing, 1 Teal and 1 female Wheatear.

Greenshank takes me to 134 species for the year.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Always good to get a record of juvenile Cuckoo, they tend to be few and far between.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

2 Greenshank present this evening in the flooded field on Great Close, also 3 Common Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, 1 Common Whitethroat, 2 Swift, around 15-20 hirundines, 3 Wheatear, a probable Merlin attacking a flock of Starling and a possible Cetti's Warbler along a ditch on Great Close. I saw it twice from behind, it had a distinct rounded tail and dark rufous back (no song though). Also seen were 20-30 Painted Lady Butterflies, 2 male and 1 female Common Darter, 1 Emperor, 1 Brown Hawker, 1 male Black-tailed Skimmer and a probable Common Hawker.

Sadly no sign of the juvenile Cuckoo.

Greenshank takes my species total to 129.
Last edited by Leonard Poxon on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Some photos of the Greenshank:

LPA_7593 crop.jpg
LPA_7593 crop.jpg (847.11 KiB) Viewed 837 times
LPA_7591 crop.jpg
LPA_7591 crop.jpg (859.49 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Return to “Recent Sightings”