Fish in River Yarrow

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Mervyn Thornhill
Sparrowhawk

Fish in River Yarrow

Post by Mervyn Thornhill »

Yesterday I walked the Yarrow between Armetriding and Pincock in Euxton and didn't see a single fish although all the pools were well lit. It was the same last time I walked it, about a month ago.

About 5-6 years ago this part of the river and other parts which I regularly walk, such as Dob Brow, Birkacre and Duxbury, seemed full of fish of all sizes with many large ones in some of the pools. I thought the river had been well and truly restored by the work of FRY and others. But since that high point the number of fish in the river seems, to me, to have been steadily reducing although there still appears to be something to attract the kingfishers and herons.

I don't recall any recent comments on this subject in this forum and wondered whether other members felt the same as I do or whether those who do keep any formal records can tell me that I'm wrong. I hope they can.

I did see a rather sick looking pygmy shrew in the woodland alongside the Euxton Millennium Green on my way out to the river..
gary lilley
Avocet

Re: Fish in River Yarrow

Post by gary lilley »

Plenty of chub in the lostock a week or two ago mervyn , use to see plenty of fish from the bridges at eccleston and croston over the yarrow but not checked for a good while .
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

I normally wear polarised sunnies when walking about and always have a good look when walking and see very, very few fish, only really the odd one turning for a fly. Does often smell a bit effluenty round Common Bank but I am sure it's all good. Certainly better than in the days of a certain mill off Eaves Lane tipping into Black Brook.
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

Shoal of rudd at the canal surface midday today, Cowling.
Phil Djali
Barn Owl

Post by Phil Djali »

Maybe some of the fish have moved up the side streams. In Chapel Brook, Euxton, we just caught (and returned) this trout. I was sure I saw one for the first time last year, but now I have the confirmation.
Phil Djali
Barn Owl

Post by Phil Djali »

Sorry, it won't let me attach the picture.

Return to “Recent Sightings”