Purple Rain

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Purple Rain

Post by Jed Kirkham »

I found out the cause of the recent purple splotches on my car, neighbours' cars, footpaths and gardens etc.
Yesterday evening walked up Well Lane and across the moors south of Heatherlea Woods, along the top of the bluff to the White Coppice-Great Hill path, up to Great Hill and back to Brinscall.
There were hundreds of Woodpigeons eating the Whinberries on the moors. Flushed a flock of +100 up from near the stand of trees SW of Well Lane, and several other flocks +20, individuals and small groups along the way. Observed many WPs eating the berries on and below the bluff too. Walking back through the woods at 2200hrs, there was a regular clatter as roosting WPs were disturbed.

I've not known this in previous summers and it figures because recently I've seen a significant increase in Woodpigeons locally (and my car is freshly splattered purple each day which isn't so bad). There were purple droppings on paths up Great Hill, I suspect the sheep are feeding on the berries too.

Sadly, in several recent walks in all weather along the bluff - normally a hirundine hotspot - I've seen 1 Swift (11th July 1800hrs). None last night and it was a glorious evening...

Approx 15 House Martins above the house/Brinscall Lodge yesterday evening.

Return to “Recent Sightings”