Mawdesley moss Quail !

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Mawdesley moss Quail !

Post by gary lilley »

Just heard a quail ( 7.40pm ) up the track from wood lane farm in the grass field after the field with several lapwing on the right hand side , the bird was calling frequently but then went silent hope it stays around , also seen 2 corn bunting , 1 buzzard , several bullfinch , blackcap , 2 yellowhammer ,1 chiffchaff , great view of a tawny owl along nook lane being mobbed by a song thrush , blackbird and a blackcap .
Quail brings my year list up to 132 species .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Mawdesley moss Quail !

Post by John Frankland »

Spent almost 2 hours on Mawdesley Moss this evening in the hope of the Gary’s Quail from Wednesday.

And yes, on the final stretch, I heard 4 clear bursts of ”Wet My Lips” *Quail about 400m north of the wind turbines at approx grid reference 490165 about 850pm.

Pretty good on the Moss with:
Corn Bunting 7-8
Yellowhammer 2
Linnet 3
Skylark 5
Whitethroat 9 (2 plus an exploding family group of 7)
Blackcap 1
Pied Wagtail 3 (adult with 2 juveniles)
Herring Gull 1
Lapwing 6
Oystercatcher 4
Kestrel 1
Jay 1
Partridge species 2

Also had a surprise Little Ringed Plover on a decent looking surprise flood out towards New Road, Croston Moss.

Earlier, around 630pm on a regular little detour to Whittle le Woods when I exit the M61 at Chorley, I finally managed to get the *Ring Necked Parakeets with 2 calling noisily in trees (1 seen) off Foxglove Drive which can’t be far from where the field trip went last night.

* 2 new ones takes me to 133 for the year.

Return to “Recent Sightings”