Yarrow Valley Euxton

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Yarrow Valley Euxton

Post by Joyce Riley »

I had the pleasure of Phil Kirk's company for my stroll along by the River Yarrow in Euxton this morning mainly to look for lichens but disappointingly poor for lichens other than pollution tolerant species. As I hadn't done the walk recently, I had forgotten just how lovely this stretch of the Yarrow Valley looks in Spring when it is carpeted with flowers including Bluebells, Lesser Celandine, Wood Anemone, Wood Sorrel, Dog's Mercury, Red Campion, Ivy-leaved Speedwell, etc and also large patches of Ramsons/Wild Garlic. Phil pointed out Fringe Cup, a species that I have never seen before, that originated in North America and escaped from gardens and is now naturalising in Britain along by rivers. Does anyone know of other sites in Chorley?
Being with Phil obviously we looked at the insects which included lots of Orange Tips (a few were observed egg laying on Jack-by-the-hedge/Garlic Mustard and Phil found one plant with a tiny orange egg) and several Speckled Woods, also both Harlequin and 7-spot Ladybirds, several bee and wasp species and Bee-Fly, its long proboscis clearly seen. Also what we believe to be the first for 2019 in our recording area 2+ Large Red Damselflies.
Other things recorded included Harts Tongue Fern, Cramp Balls (fungi) and also lots of molehills in a field across the river. What we suspected was Giant Hogweed on the opposite river bank needs to be confirmed later when it has grown even bigger and is in flower.

Return to “Recent Sightings”