Astley Park Great Wood

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Neil Southworth
Avocet

Astley Park Great Wood

Post by Neil Southworth »

Birds:- Woodpigeon, GS Pecker, Magpie, Blue, Great and Coal Tit, Goldcrest 2, Nuthatch (several), Chiffchaff, Blackcap 2, Willow Warbler, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Chaffinch
Butterflies:- Peacock 2, Orange Tip 2
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Re: Astley Park Great Wood

Post by Joyce Riley »

Thanks Neil for agreeing to accompany me in Great Wood today. I no longer feel fit enough to go walking on my own in the countryside but I wanted to look at lichens as part of my contribution to the Bioblitz as not available on 27th.
Looked at lichens growing on the trees by the top path in Great Wood by Parklands School and found they had slowly been improving over the past few years. I was delighted that sharp-eyed Neil spotted a small patch of Opegrapha atra, an locally uncommon species that wasn't recorded anywhere in the Chorley area on the survey done by Lancs County Lichen Recorder in 1992. Full list (all Latin names) will be sent in for Bioblitz.
Just 1 fungus, a 'slime mould' Lycogala epidendron noted. Also 2 Grey Squirrels seen chasing one another through the trees.
Flowers seen from the path included Bluebell, Lesser Celandine, Wood Sorrel, Wood Anemone, Butterbur, Red Campion, Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage, Dandelion and Marsh Marigolds by the pond below.
Sad to see how eroded the land by the path has become and because of this far less flowers than there used to be.

Return to “Recent Sightings”