BioBlitz weekend 27/28 April 2019

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

paul b
Raven

BioBlitz weekend 27/28 April 2019

Post by paul b »

The weekend of 27th & 28th April, is our third CDNHS BioBlitz event and we would appreciate it if as many members as possible could spend some time recording everything you see and can identify, to add to the Society's records.

The Society's co-ordinated event is in Astley Park from 10am to 2 pm-we will be based in the Activity Centre and it would be great to see you -plus any family and friends you can bring along.The challenge is to record 100 species(at least) in those four hours-can we do it?

Your records over the weekend need as a minimum to contain details of species, number, location and date with any further relevant information which the observer wishes to add. Records from less visited areas and of less recorded species such as mammals and amphibians would be appreciated.
Have an enjoyable recording weekend. We look forward to receiving the proceeds!
paul b
Raven

Re: BioBlitz weekend 27/28 April 2019

Post by paul b »

Tomorrow and Sunday are our recording days -but we will be recording in Astley Park on Saturday 27th ONLY.
The forecast is unfavourable -perhaps more typical April weather than last week - and yet anyone willing to record in the park -and elsewhere at your leisure- would be very welcome
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Sightings in Astley Park this morning:

Birds - Black Headed Gull, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Blackbird, Magpie, Starling, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Jackdaw, Song Thrush, Robin, Dunnock.

Mammals - 1 Grey Squirrel, Molehills.

Flora - Chickweed, Fat Hen, Shepherds Purse, Daisy, Dandelion, Creeping Buttercup, Groundsel, Plantain, Garlic Mustard, Ransoms, Bluebell, Yellow Flag, Mayweed.

Trees - Sycamore, Beech, Hawthorn, Hornbeam, English Oak.

Apologies for not getting back to the room before you closed up Paul.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Unfortunately the Bioblitz was carried out in adverse weather conditions which inevitably impacted on the number of species recorded, particularly in respect of insects. Nevertheless we just about exceeded the 100 species target. Thanks to all those hardy souls who took part. Consolidated sightings:-

Birds:- Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Buzzard, BH Gull, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, GS Woodpecker, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Blackcap, Blue, Great, Coal and LT Tit, Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Grey Wagtail, Chaffinch, Goldfinch (31)

Flora:- Bluebell, Lesser Celandine, Wood Anenome, Wood Sorrel, Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage, Ramsons, Jack-by-the-Hedge, Cow Parsley, Himalayan Balsam, Dandelion, Cleavers, Brooklime, Greater Stitchwort, Red Campion, Slender Speedwell, Herb Bennett, Hairy Bittercress, Daisy, Dog Violet, Herb Robert, White Deadnettle, Wild Primrose, Marsh Marigold, Forget-me-not, Pignut, Dogs Mercury, Ivy-leaved Toadflax, Meadow Buttercup, Lady's smock, Mouse ear chickweed, Water Lily, Lilac Ivy-leaved Speedwell, Snowdrop, Hogweed, Dock, Horsetail, Yellow Flag Iris, Ivy, Large Bittercress, Bramble, Fringe Cups, Hart's Tongue Fern, Welsh Poppy (43)

Fungi:- Turkeytail, Smoky Bracket, Giant Polypore and 'slime mould' Lycogala epidendron (4)

Trees:- Beech, Sycamore, Holly, Hawthorn, Flowering Cherry, Monkey Puzzle, Sessile Oak, Horse Chestnut, Hornbeam, Copper Beech, Bird Cherry, Wych Elm, Silver Birch, Ash, Elder, Rowan, Lime, Sallow, Yew, Monterey Cypress, Small Leaf Lime, Pendunculate Oak, Crab apple, Field Maple, Hazel, Downy Birch (26)

Mammals:- Hedgehog (dead), Grey Squirrel, Molehills (3)

Insects:- 12 Spot Ladybird (1)
Joyce Riley
Goldeneye

Post by Joyce Riley »

As my garden overlooks Great Wood in Astley Park and I often see more species of birds on the feeders in my garden than people see just walking through the wood especially on a wet and windy day I recorded what I saw for the part of the bioblitz period 10 am to 12 pm before I had to go out.I can add just one species to the list as a pair of Bullfinches spent quite a lot of the 2 hours in my garden. Birds recorded Great and Blue Tits 2 of each. Robin 2. Dunnock 1. Blackbirds 1. Nuthatch 1.
Woodpigeon 2. Magpie 1. Carrion Crow 1. Goldfinch 1. and Bullfinch 2. (Regulars not seen during the period we're Chaffinch and Coal Hit.)
Also had the 'pests' 2 Grey Squirrels.
List of lichens I have recorded on 17th and 24th April to be sent in separately as I don't want to bore you all with a list of Latin names. Joyce Riley
PETER
Little Egret

Post by PETER »

These were recorded on the 20th April in Astley Park,so don't know if these will count.
Hoverflies,5 Syrphus sp,1 Epistrophe eligans
Bees, Wasps, 3-4 Ashy Mining Bees,3-4 Sphecodes sp,Nomada lathburiana,
Ladybirds, Harlequin Ladybird.
Spiders, Genus Pardosa-Wolf Spider.
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

Garden -Great Knowley -today

Starling 6, blackbird 2, goldfinch 2; singles of wren (nesting), blue tit (nesting),great tit (nesting),robin, house sparrow, chaffinch,collared dove, woodpigeon 2,dunnock, goldcrest -using the BTO breeding bird survey criteria that any bird seen is in territory and likely breeding nearby then all these are in this category.

Bumblebees-early, buff tailed, common carder, tree. Solitary bees -red mason (nesting), Gwynne's mining.
Frog tadpoles.
In flower-White dead nettle, stinging nettle, water avens, cowslip, English bluebell, Spanish bluebell,apple species,marsh marigold,cow parsley, herb robert.
PETER
Little Egret

Post by PETER »

Garden-Heath Charnock.
Andrena fulva-Tawny Mining Bee.

Return to “Recent Sightings”