Great Grey Shrike White Coppice

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Paul Davenport
Woodpecker

Great Grey Shrike White Coppice

Post by Paul Davenport »

A superb days birding from White Coppice to the uplands today but the star of the show was a Great Grey Shrike at the western end of the beech wood that borders the upper levels of Dean Black Brook. Initially perched atop a stunted oak it took off hunting for prey. I was not aware the these birds were capable of hovering Kestrel like using their long tail for balance, a real showman! Superb bird watched for several minutes and a UK first for me!
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Re: Great Grey Shrike White Coppice

Post by Neil Southworth »

Great record Paul. Thanks for posting. I just hope it hangs around for a day or two!
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

A well timed days holiday !

GGS still there and showing well at western end of beeches and 200m east on small spindly tree 315 to 355pm a least.

Also saw some of the hovering.

A superb bird, well done Paul on finding a cracker ! :D

Swallow and Willow Warbler also present plus Red Grouse on the walk up from Well Lane.

Takes me to 108 species for the year.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Currently on site. Unfortunately some dog walkers off trail right in the area seen... No sight of the bird.

6pm edit. Simon is a GGS expert. He's found it at the far eastern end of the trees :-) Sat in trees that run N-S at the eastern end of the main tree group.

2nd edit - a great find Paul. Male Stonechat, Lesser Redpoll and Curlew were other new birds for the year whilst on the walk up and back. Now onto 87 for the year
Paul Davenport
Woodpecker

Post by Paul Davenport »

Great to be validated, well done Ian, Simon and John!
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Great sighting Paul , ive only ever seen one at martin mere years ago hope it sticks around .
Dave Beevers
Goldeneye

Post by Dave Beevers »

Shrike still in same wooded area mid afternoon. Nearby pair of Stonechat and male Reed Bunting. Plenty Meadow Pipits and a couple of Red Grouse calling but not seen.
Paul Hodson
Peregrine

Post by Paul Hodson »

The Great Grey Shrike was posing nicely by the ruins of Great Hill farm around 7.00 this evening, before it was mobbed by a gang of Meadow Pipits and flew off down Dean Black Brook.
Other sightings
Wheatear 3. Skylark. Reed Bunting. Curlew 2. Red Grouse heard.

Willow Warbler singing at White Coppice.

A clump of doomed frog spawn in a small puddle on the path near Drinkwaters,

GGS. Wheatear and Willow Warbler take my score to 94.
tony
Raven

Post by tony »

Great find, is this area the group of trees on the way up to/just below Great Hill next to the ruins?
Cheers
Neil Southworth
Avocet

No Tony, it's in the trees by Dean Black Brook but directly opposite Drinkwater's ruin.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Great Grey Shrike still present this morning at 10.30 am in the usual location. Other sightings:-
Red Grouse (one seen but several others calling), Curlew, Raven 4, Crow 2, Woodpigeon 2, Skylark (several singing), Meadow Pipit 20-50, Stonechat 2 pairs and a female.
Butterflies:- Peacock
GGS and Red Grouse take me to 97
Paul Davenport
Woodpecker

Post by Paul Davenport »

Well, this is a turn up, either we have two birds or it's moved. I avoided disturbing the sight this am to leave it clear for others. Instead I took the path up Lead Mines Clough heading East towards Rivington Road, to my astonishment I spotted a GSS moving from perch to perch on the small conifers around Higher Hempshaws. Same bird?
nora west
Little Egret

Post by nora west »

The GGS. Meadow pipit.and Red Grouse.make my total 86.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Paul, I was with Neil, Nora and Tommy this morning when we saw the Shrike. We watched it for 7 minutes between 10:26 and 10:33 before we lost sight of it. What Time did you see it?

LPA_4375.jpg
LPA_4375.jpg (323.82 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
LPA_4377-2.jpg
LPA_4377-2.jpg (503.95 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
GGS takes my species score to 103.
Last edited by Leonard Poxon on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

The original shrike was certainly still present this afternoon 400-530pm above WC ranging a bit further north east than Tuesday in small isolated trees towards Great Hill although back in the spot at the west end of the beeches when I left at 530pm.

Also 2-3 vocal Red Grouse (1 seen in flight), 2 Raven and a Golden Plover heard calling on Anglezarke Moor.

Return to “Recent Sightings”