Eyes Lane

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

John Frankland
Peregrine

Eyes Lane

Post by John Frankland »

What was looking like a poor evening certainly brightened up at the end.

Within a Pied Wagtail group of 20-25 feeding on a small flood at side of the road was a single * White Wagtail. Also, hiding in mud on the same flood was a single * Little Ringed Plover which just appeared in the scope whilst watching the White Wagtail ! :D

Nice to meet Len there and hopefully he should have some good photos of both.

A couple of Little Egret heading west as I was leaving and a Swallow on wires in Bretherton made it a good evening overall.

* 2 more takes me to 107 species for the year.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Eyes Lane

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Nice to meet John again and thanks for spotting the LRP.

LRP & White Wagtail takes my species total to 96.

LPA_3712.jpg
LPA_3712.jpg (880.84 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Pied Wagtail (female)
LPA_3680.jpg
LPA_3680.jpg (929.32 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
White Wagtail (male)
32589670117_dffd1b76fe_z.jpg
32589670117_dffd1b76fe_z.jpg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Little Ringed Plover
peter rowlands
Peregrine

Post by peter rowlands »

Brilliant pics Len.
peter rowlands
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

Good pics of the wags Len. I can kind of see why the lower one is a white wag, but can't see the top one as a female pied (is it not the white wag also?)
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Neville - when I saw the 1st pic last night, I thought it looked too dark on the back with extensive grey on the flanks to be the White Wagtail we saw. However, it should be said that the light was quite gloomy which could feed through onto the photo (no disrespect to Len !!)

There were 2 or 3 birds present like the 1st photo but they just didn’t seem clean enough when seen “live” in comparison to the White Wagtail which stood out with its sharp features.

Interesting to hear any other comments.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

I originally thought they were the same bird and put it down to camera angle and changing light. There can be a lot of overlap in the grey shading of 'alba' and 'yarelli' and the first bird is pale grey on the flanks, with the grey matching the back. It is more extensive though than might be expected in White Wagtail. The forehead also has the black meeting and extending slightly in front of the line of the eyes. The second picture, of the male White Wagtail, shows the black going behind the line of the eyes. I was reading an interesting article on hybrids and this reminded me of a bird seen a few years ago in Kent that had a mixture of features. An interesting bird the first one, but the second picture is a nice White Wagtail for sure.

Return to “Recent Sightings”