Hedgehogs

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

DavidM
Buzzard

Hedgehogs

Post by DavidM »

Three hedgehogs feeding in my garden last night (backing onto Ackhurst Wood AP), the smallest being bullied. I've viewed & fed the small one since it came out of hibernation early, during the warm spell in Feb.
It's now starting to feed early at dusk when it's not quite dark! It's not in the least bit sluggish or lethargic & doesn't appear to be in any distress. It pops out, has a quick feed, a drink, then goes back under the hedge. (I believe it's sleeping in a neighbours hedgehog box which is nearby under a row of conifers)
I'm not happy about it's appearence during daylight hours albeit late afternoon & I'm not sure if I should try & capture it & take it to Chorley Hedgehog rescue. If I fail to catch it (it is quite nimble & it's only a short run back to cover) I might make the area more of a threat & discourage it from returning.
Anyone any thoughts?

I feed the hedgehogs with re-hydrated mealworms & hedgehog nibbles. I don't use cat food as we've loads of local cats. I could make a feeding box but it's not a natural habitat for hedgehogs to feed from & It would have to be very big.

My wildlife camera trap confirms at, as yet, I don't have rats attending the feed.

(The web-site won't accept the AVI attachment from my wildlife camera so I've posted it on Chorley Nats Facebook site. Apologies to members who don't use Facebook)

Return to “Recent Sightings”