Lead Mine Clough

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

peter rowlands
Peregrine

Lead Mine Clough

Post by peter rowlands »

Late afternoon visit from Alance Bridge to the Monument. Mallards. corvids. G/B and LT Tits. Nuthatch collecting nesting material. Chaffinch. Wren. Curlew in field next to the bridge. 2 Grey Wagtails. 2 Pied Wagtails. Lots of male Pheasants. 2 Mistle Thrush. 1 Song thrush. Blackbirds. Magpies. 2 Canada Geese. 1 Oystercatcher.1 Buzzard. Could I have info as to the best place for the Crossbills and Siskin please, I`m not that familiar with the area, thanks. Congrats on your ton Garry.
Attachments
1-4-19..JPG
1-4-19..JPG (149.4 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
1-4-19.JPG
1-4-19.JPG (139.9 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
peter rowlands
gary lilley
Avocet

Re: Lead Mine Clough

Post by gary lilley »

The monument area is a great spot to watch from peter especially if your familiar with the fight calls of these species also if you walk around the perimeter of the plantation the birds can turn up anywhere , good luck .
peter rowlands
Peregrine

Post by peter rowlands »

Thanks Gary.
peter rowlands
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Peter,

Once you get to the monument follow the path north along the edge of the woods. Eventually you will come to a kissing gate, go through the gate, the track then separates the wooded valley from the remains of a conifer plantation 'The Flat' that caught fire and most of it burnt down, but there are still some conifers living. I have seen several Crossbill and Siskin either in the dead forest or flying between the two. If you then follow the track to the right and cross over the wooden bridge, it' s often possible to see Crossbill along the pines that line northern edge of Lead Mine valley or even look down into the valley to view the tops of the pines. As Gary said they can potentially be anywhere so keep looking at the tops of the pines for birds resting or feeding on pine cones. Crossbill have a distinctive 'chup chup' call, it is worth getting familiar with that as they often utter it in flight.
peter rowlands
Peregrine

Post by peter rowlands »

Thanks Len.
peter rowlands

Return to “Recent Sightings”