Out and about 3 new ticks .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Out and about 3 new ticks .

Post by gary lilley »

A great mornings birding with spring certainly in the air :D , started at the twin lakes area were a chiffchaff was in full song then spotted 4 ducks in flight which tuned out to be pochard :D they eventually landed on the first lake and were still present when i left also 6 gc grebe , 8 tufted , a kingfisher was showing well ( looked like it was in courtship with a mate ) , croston reedbed held several reed bunting , over to the finney was the next venue were the next star bird was a ringed plover on the flooded field 4 oystercatcher and 20 bh gulls were also present ( ringed plover was still present when i left ) also 50+ teal on the river and a male yellowhammer in full song.
pochard , oystercatcher and ringed plover brings the chorley year list up to 94 species .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Out and about 3 new ticks .

Post by John Frankland »

No sign of the Pochard this morning (great sighting Gary !) but similar numbers of Great Crested Grebe and Tufted Duck. Possibly heard a short snippet of Chiffchaff song but distant.

The solitary *Ringed Plover was still present though with 7 Pink footed Geese, 34 Fieldfare and 1 male Yellowhammer.

* Ringed Plover takes me to 85 species for the year.

Return to “Recent Sightings”