Bretherton and Whttle Bottoms

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Bretherton and Whttle Bottoms

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Out for the first proper birding of the year other than minor forays into and around Brinscall.

0815 to 1200hrs Eyes Lane across the fields to Red Bridge and back via the Lane, then along Back Lane to Lostock Bridge, along the brook and return via fields.
On Eyes Lane, Coal, Blue, Great & LT Tits, Blackbirds, Pheasant, Carrion Crows, a Sparrowhawk over, Cormorant likewise, Dunnock, Woodpigeons, Magpie, many Linnet around, 4 Fieldfares, Chaffinch, Robin, Goldfinch, Nuthatch and GT Spotted Woodpecker. At the river there were Mallard, a few Teal & Moorhen, Canada Geese over, a pair of Goosanders.
Many of the same birds on the "2nd walk", with the addition of Starlings, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, several Redwing, a Snipe flushed, and a Tree Sparrow SW of Odd House. Likely BH Gulls and Herring Gulls over. Lots of molehills SW of Lostock Bridge.

Interest was generated by Gary's visit to Whittle Bottoms - I like Woodcock too - and I confirm Neville's view that it is a top spot. I had to be home by 1500hrs so not a dusk session. (1300 to 1415hrs). Great to mooch around here. At the entrance chatted with a woman (probably the owner of the house) walking the largest grey dog in existence woofing a lot plus a golden puggish dog smaller than my breakfast. Be warned if the big dog is around as the footpath is through its yard - it looked fearsome but seemed fairly harmless... Soon heard (and later saw) a Willow Tit - nice! Plus Nuthatch, Blackbird, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, LT Tit, Magpie, Goldfinch, a busy and noisy Buzzard - I was presumably invading its patch - Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Pheasant, Wren and Robin. Flushed a Woodcock from an area of gorse/brambles. Will go back at dusk on the next visit, as soon as...

I do Birdtrack but don't keep lists (County/Life etc), it would frustrate me too much so haven't gone down that route. However, I will join in the 2019 Chorley Year list and my total is currently 40. I'll be happy with 100 total and not disappointed if I don't make the ton.
Do the Muscovy Ducks at Brinscall Lodge count? If so its 41...
gary lilley
Avocet

Re: Bretherton and Whttle Bottoms

Post by gary lilley »

Good to see a willow tit in the area jed ,ive never seen one in the area before but its the perfect habitat , there is 2 more public footpaths to the area ( one at the top of the hill and one from the stocks lane end ( heskin ) .
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Welcome on board, Jed. I've added you to the list. Sorry, but Muscovy doesn't count.
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Thanks for your replies, Gary and Neil. I will try to go there again this weekend nearer dusk.
Unfortunately I cannot attend the Chorley Nats meeting this Thursday.

Willow Tit - Last year I contacted Natural England re sighting of a singing bird during Spring at a small woodland reserve east of RSPB Campfield Marsh on the Solway. there was a sign at the entrance asking for sightings. I exchanged a few emails with them and a local contact - they are quite a rare bird in N Cumbria, and are ringed as part of a study.
As I recall Chorley Nats are wanting volunteers for a WT survey this Spring? Please count me in if so.

Return to “Recent Sightings”