Year list challenge .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Year list challenge .

Post by gary lilley »

Well John it looks like its your title this year , unless lens found a rare gull at rivington , well done , and i hope to be pushing for the title next year and hope more members take up the challenge , all the best everyone .
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Year list challenge .

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Congratulations John and to all who partook in the challenge.

My final total was 140 and the 9 I did not get to see where:

Osprey, Hobby, Tree Pipit, Whinchat, Red Kite, Pied Flycatcher, Hawfinch, Yellow Legged Gull and Manx Shearwater.

All the best to everyone for the new year.
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

Cheers Gary and Len - I thought that Len was going to catch me at the end !

It’s been a great year with my personal highlights being Red Kite in Mawdesley, the Eyes Lane Whinchat, Paul’s Yellow Wagtail, the Winter Hill Black Redstart and the White Coppice Green Woodpecker together with super views of Barn Owl and Ring Ouzel. The Eyes Lane spring waderfest was also great fun.

Pied Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Osprey, Hen & Marsh Harrier, Hawfinch and Manx Shearwater were the 7 I didn’t manage with Grasshopper Warbler being the only bird I heard only.

My predictions 12m ago of Firecrest and Cettis Warbler didn’t materialise. So, let’s go for Long Eared Owl and Glaucous Gull for 2019 !

Thanks to all who I’ve met taking part in the challenge during the year and all the best for 2019.

Happy New Year !!
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

Well done John and everyone who took part, it proved as much fun as ever.

Birds of the year for me were my 3 first ever Chorley ticks - black redstart, pied flycatcher and yellow wagtail.

Happy New Year to all.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Congratulations, John and thanks for pointing out the YLG and to Phil Rhodes for finding them. My year ends on 128. Must do better! This year's overall total came to 149 - pity we didn't make 150, though one or two species usually crawl out of the woodwork before the Annual Report is done.

Happy New Year everyone, when it all starts again!

Return to “Recent Sightings”