Out and about

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Out and about

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Yesterday.

Great Knowley -Mixed flock of 24 Long Tailed Tit, 4 Blue Tit & 2 Great Tit passed through the garden.

Chorley Cemetery - Birds seen/heard - Great Spotted Woodpecker, Magpie, Jay, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Woodpigeon, Great Tit, Carrion Crow.
Mammals - 3 Grey Squirrel.
Fungi - Common Inkcap, Shaggy Inkcap, Clustered Domecap, Yellowing Knight, Fly Agaric, The Blusher, and several others as yet unidentified.

Today.

Anglezarke Reservoir - 1 Grey Heron, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 20+ Mallard, 2 Moorhen, 1 Pied Wagtail and 1 possible Yellow Legged Gull (will post photos later).
Adjacent woodland - mixed flock of 9 Long Tailed Tit, 4 Blue Tit, 2 Coal Tit and a small warbler, probably a Chiffchaff. Robin, Wren, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Magpie, Jay, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Raven heard, Buzzard heard, Blue Tit and Chaffinch.

High Bullough Reservoir - 42 Mallard, 11 Tufted Duck.

Yarrow Reservoir - 8 Mallard, 3 Pied Wagtail, flock of 30+ passerines either finches or pipits down near water level and 14 Black Headed Gull.

Belmont Reservoir - 1 Moorhen, 35 Canada Geese, 1 Greylag Goose, 15+ Mallard, several Teal in flight, 5 Lapwing, 1 Goldfinch and 1 Kestrel.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Re: Out and about

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Some photos of the possible Yellow Legged Gull below, comments welcome.
LPA_5152 crop.jpg
LPA_5152 crop.jpg (230.85 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
LPA_5151crop.jpg
LPA_5151crop.jpg (245.53 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
LPA_5150crop.jpg
LPA_5150crop.jpg (171.51 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Further Great Knowley sightings today:

Birds - 21 Wagtails over late afternoon.

Lepidoptera - 1 Small Tortoiseshell butterfly in the garden today.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

I'm no expert on gulls Len, but it does look like a yellow-legged to me. Legs are not pinkish and the back is a darker grey than is usual for a herring, although aren't yellow-legged heads usually a clean white.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

A few concerns compared to the bird I had earlier this year. I feel the white spots in the primaries are too extensive, the head appears rounded, there are markings on the head around the eye, plus is the bill heavy enough? The Azorean sub species of YL Gull can show this level of head markings but then so does winter Lesser Black Backed. The grey on the back is also within range for 'graellsii' sub species of LBB Gull.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I think we will leave its status as a possible then.
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Picture of a yellow legged gull on the manchester birding site today ( pennington flash post ) for comparison .

Return to “Recent Sightings”