Mown verges

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

MarkF
Raven

Mown verges

Post by MarkF »

Disappointed to see the entirety of Yarrow Valley Way bypass has been mown. Most of the A49 through Charnock Richard into Euxton seems to have escaped the cull for now. Not sure what CBC's attitude towards roadside verges is, or who to raise it with.
Neville Root
Raven

Re: Mown verges

Post by Neville Root »

I live on Gillibrand N off YV Way and was thinking exactly the same thing. I have an online account with the Council and have sent a complaint to their grounds and maintenence dept and will post their reply. You can set up your own account by going to www.chorley.gov.uk
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

A pathway near to my house is cut regular by the council and weedkiller is sprayed along the fence lines , another one of my gripes is roundabouts planted up with non native plants and new building sites also planted up with non natives !
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

I have signed the petition here which also contacts the council:

I've just signed Plantlife's letter to my council to help save wildlife on our road verges! http://bit.ly/1fOYGLA
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

The Chorley Council officer responsible is Sean Blake.

I asked if some green spaces on the Great Knowley estate could be sown with wild flowers -after looking at them with him it was agreed -but nothing has happened yet (and must be getting late to attempt it) because of poor weather.

The Council are interested in doing more -it appears - but putting pressure on would not do any harm IMO
Eddie Langrish
Goldeneye

Post by Eddie Langrish »

You need to plant perennial Wildflowers on the verges and not the none native Annual mix, chorley council wont do anything to do this, there response will be they get more emails of complaints from residents if they are not mown and it's LCC' who cut the grass yet they carry on Building property and taking good habitat, IE after Parklands school, it was once a rough meadow with lots of wildlife, now houses, and the top water goes into the River Yarrow, but that's Ok, because they are slowing the flow down at Dob brow pastures ( not)
You need to vote for the right party to have a chance to have verges wildlife friendly.
Just come back from Shropshire and plenty of wildflower road verges there, when are chorley Nats going to put pressure on, so road verges are wildlife friendly. email chorley council at contact@chorley.gov
Wendy Hayes
Blue Tit

Post by Wendy Hayes »

Just emailed the council Eddie thanks Wendy
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Just to keep everyone in the picture, we (Chorley Nats) have raised the matter of the mown verges along Yarrow Valley Way with Chorley Council. They have agreed to reduce the mowing to a single strip along the kerb but with a full mow of roundabouts. They will review this later in the season, when they have been able to gauge public reaction. Hopefully, that's a result!
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

Well done to the CDNHS officers who raised this and had an impact.
Eddie Langrish
Goldeneye

Post by Eddie Langrish »

Hi Everyone,
Great that Chorley Council have left some of the verges un mown. This will have increased insects in the area, which is great for the wildlife further up the chain.
However, if at the end of the season ( presumably Mid September ) the area left un mown is then cut to the ground, through the thatch, then this will kill a lot of what insect life has increased over the 4 months, by not allowing sufficient thatch for overwintering of Larva and eggs.
Most areas of meadows that are cut in August to end of September if manage correctly are cut to 80 -100 high, giving natural thatch cover for overwintering and the cuttings should be removed and not just left to rot. Fingers crossed it will be manage correctly.

Please could they do the same at every verge possible, IE going through Astley Village.

Return to “Recent Sightings”