Tincklers Lane to St. Marys, Eccleston

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

John Edwards
Peregrine

Tincklers Lane to St. Marys, Eccleston

Post by John Edwards »

A single Sandmartin (88) was at the Church end of the river, 2 Whimbrel flew over and 7 Curlew were on the fields. Again only a few warblers heard or seen 2 Blackcap, 2 Chiff Chaff and 2 Whitethroat also 2 Buzzard, 5 Linnets, 4 Song Thrush and 8 Canada Geese.
2 of the fields have had manure spread on them, one of the fields had Lapwings nesting on it, so how many of the nests survived if any ? they'll probably be ploughing next though there were 13 or 14 Lapwings feeding on the spread manure. A singing Song Thrush in my garden the last couple of days more unusual was a singing Blackcap this morning.
John Edwards
Mike Graham
Buzzard

Re: Tincklers Lane to St. Marys, Eccleston

Post by Mike Graham »

That happens to the lapwing nests near me in a Hoghton every year. It is as if the farmers do not give a toss.
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

Just in the interests of fairness to the farmers, has anyone told them there are nests and asked them to either not spread or wait until young are able to get away?
If the farmers know and then don't avoid spreading, then they are totally culpable.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

The farmers would have to leave the whole field un-mucked to avoid the nests as the muck spreading machine throws the muck over a wide area, the muck goes all over the place, I don't think the farmers would agree to this. The next stage will be the ploughing. I'm not blaming the farmers they have a job to do and apart from them having more set aside land I don't know what the solution would be.
John Edwards
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

I think the Lapwings will probably nest again once things have settled down.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

As expected the fields have now been ploughed, you are right Neil the same thing happened last year and the Lapwings went on to successfully raise young.
John Edwards

Return to “Recent Sightings”