Talbot Mill Chorley

MarkF
Raven

Talbot Mill Chorley

Post by MarkF »

Several reed bunting. Chiffchaff, blackcap, snipe, sparrowhawk, moorhen, Canada geese (pr), 10 starling. Numerous robin, woodpigeon, blackbird, wren, great/blue tit, dunnock, bh gull, mallard, also song thrush, crow, house sparrow, pheasant calling, rabbits.
MarkF
Raven

Re: Talbot Mill Chorley

Post by MarkF »

Couple of groppers reeling this evening.
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

10 acres of bullrushes, reed beds and several acres of water within completely filled with sand and levelled. Unsurprisingly no sign of the snipe, gropper, kestrel, moorhen, mallards. No doubt some were on nests or with young when this happened.
https://twitter.com/AnglezarkeNet/statu ... 14080?s=19
Very sad.
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

The Wildlife & Countryside Act states "it is illegal to intentionally take, injure or kill any wild bird, or to take, damage or destroy an active nest or its contents". The Developers will say, of course, that they knew nothing about any nesting/breeding birds at this site.
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

Here's the "before" pictures.

3-otherpond.jpg
3-otherpond.jpg (404.17 KiB) Viewed 18918 times
2-medpond.jpg
2-medpond.jpg (320.86 KiB) Viewed 18918 times
1-smallpond.jpg
1-smallpond.jpg (555.69 KiB) Viewed 18918 times
Last edited by MarkF on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

And the "After". The site is/was 10+acres, which was split approx 1/3 water, 1/3 scrub and 1/3 grasses, and now looks like this
after.jpg
after.jpg (312.89 KiB) Viewed 18916 times
David Dunlop
Robin

Post by David Dunlop »

Request type: General Enquiry - Planning
Submitted on: 25/06/2018 15:52
Due on or before: 09 July 2018

Items reported:
===============
General Enquiry - Planning
I'm investigating a POSSIBLE breach of planning policy, obligation or condition at Talbot Mill, Chorley, reported to me via twitter.

The site supported about 10 acres of wetland, including reed-beds (a s41 "habitat of principal importance in England") and several acres of open water. Before the event, these were reported to Chorley Natural History Society as supporting breeding snipe, kestrel, moorhen, and mallards. All of this is now reported as recently filled with sand and levelled, presumably as the commencement of, or preparation for development. It is an offence under s1 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) to intentionally "take, injure or kill any wild bird, or to take, damage or destroy an active nest or its contents", and there is normally a "standard condition" covering that that is applied to any relevant planning consent.

I have access to a number of "before|" and "after" photographs.

Is there an active planning consent or application pertaining to this site?

Kind regards

David Dunlop
Senior Conservation Officer
The Wildlife Trust for Lancashire, Manchester & North Merseyside
01772 317 238
ddunlop@lancswt.org.uk
David Dunlop
Conservation Officer for Central & Western Lancashire
tel: 01772-317 238 (voicemail)
Registered Charity number 229325
Co. number 731548
David Dunlop
Robin

Post by David Dunlop »

Oops! I meant to say that I have just submitted this inquiry to Chorley Council's online planning portal.

Dave Dunlop
David Dunlop
Co. number 731548
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

Hi David

Many thanks for your proactive response to my concern, it is most appreciated

Matk
David Dunlop
Robin

Post by David Dunlop »

I've received an email response from Chorley Council's Enforcement Officer confirming that this is levelling of the site prior to consented development; and will follow up with him once I've had time to check the details of all the relevant planning permissions: there are three! Would you like to contact me directly (ddunlop@lancswt.org.uk) so I can forward correspondence as it happens? That said, I'm happy to continue posting it here if it's of wider interest (and not libellous!); but, on the other hand, Moderator Southworth & others may not want this forum to become "cluttered" with what could become rather "techie" planning and criminal evidence discussions. (!)

Dave

David Dunlop
(Blackburn with Darwen, Chorley, Preston, South Ribble, West Lancashire)
Tel: 01772-317 238
Mob: NONE
E-mail: ddunlop@lancswt.org.uk
twitter: @LaWT_d
We’re a membership charity: joining details are online at: http://www.lancswt.org.uk/membership.

(Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Bolton, Burnley, Bury, Chorley, Fylde, Hyndburn, Knowsley, Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester, Oldham, Pendle, Preston, Ribble Valley, Rochdale, Rossendale, St Helens, Salford, Sefton, South Ribble, West Lancashire, Wigan, Wyre)

Web Site: www.lancswt.org.uk

Visit www.wildlifetrusts.org for details of our campaigns for A Living Landscape & Living Seas.

Registered address: The Barn, Berkeley Drive, Bamber Bridge, PR5 6BY.
Charity number 229325, Company number 731548.
David Dunlop
Co. number 731548
paul b
Raven

Post by paul b »

From my POV as an "ordinary" member of C&DNHS we should keep this thread active and if it is lengthy so be it.

The possible/alleged breaches of planning consent are potentially serious and of great concern. With the extent of development in Chorley -and the region-it's vital -again, in my opinion- that the Society and all other interested people are aware of what's going on and do all in their power to lobby and intervene wherever and whenever necessary.
Mike Graham
Buzzard

Post by Mike Graham »

Totally agree Paul. We need to campaign not just post sightings. I apologise if this sounds condescending, it is not meant to but we need to have a more public voice.
MarkF
Raven

Post by MarkF »

David thank you once more for keeping us updated, I only wish I had flagged this sooner once I noticed the developers signage. Today it is Talbot Mill reedbeds, tomorrow it could be Healey Nab, Rivington, White Coppice. But the smaller plots are at bigger risk as they are less well known and can slip under the radar.

Return to “Talbot Mill Development”