Withnell Nature Reserve/Shale Holes

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Withnell Nature Reserve/Shale Holes

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Afternoon stroll : Goldfinch, Blackbird, Magpie, Jackdaw, Dunnock, Blue/Great/Coal/LT Tit, Redwing (3), Robin, Song Thrush, Woodpigeon, Moorhen, Mallard/Dom, Chaffinch, Collard Dove, Reed Bunting, Starling, House Sparrow, Goldcrest, Raven, Bullfinch, BH gull. There were larger gulls high up but I'm not too good on gulls - wish I was.
Never seen a Reed Bunting near the Shale Holes before - there are reeds, water, cover, and lots of bird feeders nearby, so its possibly not too surprising that I've seen one.
Mark Cookson
Goldeneye

Re: Withnell Nature Reserve/Shale Holes

Post by Mark Cookson »

Hi Jed
Just wondering which area you are referring to as Shale Holes. Had an late afternoon walk from Boat Yard pub to Withnell Nature reserve and back and saw plenty
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

Mark, I think you're probably confusing Withnell nature reserve with Withnell Fold nature reserve, which has been done many times in the past! Withnell nature reserve runs from Brinscall to Abbey Village along part of the route of the former Chorley to Blackburn railway line. Jed will correct me if I am wrong, but I assume the shale holes are the ponds along that track.
Jed Kirkham
Golden Eagle

Post by Jed Kirkham »

Thanks Neil, yes you are right, the Withnell Nature Reserve is as you describe it. The Shale Holes are ponds located to the north west of the footpath which approximately follows the course of the old railway line between Brinscall and Abbey Village. I saw the Reed Bunting to the rear of the residential properties of Fellstone Vale - there are numerous birdfeeders in gardens here, and this attracts a range of birds eg. passerines, corvids. Occasionally a good place for siskins, I've seen +8 bullfinches here too. I have been informed there are Tree Sparrows in this reserve, I've never seen them - if I do, I'll let you know.
Further to the NE in the reserve is good for Grey Wagtails, I also occasionally see them on Quarry Road near the Goit.
regards
Jed
Mark Cookson
Goldeneye

Post by Mark Cookson »

Thanks Neil / Jed
Yeah you were right I was getting the 2 confused
Will certainly be taking a look at the Withnell reserve. Thanks again

Return to “Recent Sightings”