Bretherton eyes floods .

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Bretherton eyes floods .

Post by gary lilley »

Plenty of birders out this morning and plenty of birds , a good raptor day with 5 species several buzzard sightings , hunting peregrine , sparrowhawk , kestrel and highlight was a hunting male merlin :D , great white egret was showing again ( been around a month now ) 2 heron , thousands of starlings , a pair of shovelers dropped in but were soon gone , 2 shelduck , good numbers of lapwing , 10 ruff dropped in , 5 goosanders in flight , 7 whoopers passed over , kingfisher , several pied wagtail .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Bretherton eyes floods .

Post by John Frankland »

Same as Gary.

No mention of the calling "green sandpiper" Gary ? !! :lol:

Think I need to WD40 that squeak on my tripod. :D
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

(9.15-11.00am) As per Gary and John for Eyes Lane sightings. Jury is still out on the green sandpiper though!
Earlier (8.00am) had a trawl through the bog behind the e-shaped ponds - plenty of redwing and fieldfare on the hawthorns, kestrel, sparrowhawk, only single c snipe flushed, possible woodcock flushed.

First ever Chorley merlin brings Chorley species total for the year to 135
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

I knew that pesky Merlin would turn up as soon as I left!!

Earlier on before John, Neville and Gary arrived I saw:

3 Whooper Swans (1 adult & 2 juveniles) over heading northwest, 17 Greylag Geese over heading west, 16 Canada Geese over heading southwest, there were also a flock of approx 70 Fieldfare, several Redwing, 2 Song Thrush feeding on haws, 10+Skylark, Chaffinch, Meadow Pipit, Blackbird & Robin.

Return to “Recent Sightings”