Eyes Lane Flood

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

ianball
Peregrine

Eyes Lane Flood

Post by ianball »

An hour at lunch today didn't produce an Egret, but a clear out of the previous waders had been replaced by a Greenshank on the small pool to the left of the main flood. Regular disturbance by 3 Grey Herons though made the Lapwings and Starlings flighty and the shank soon disappeared off down the Douglas. Pintail and Wigeon still on the flood although playing hide and seek. Steady movement, or just moving around, of Skylark with numerous birds overhead. Manure pile was spotted and safely avoided :-)

I'm now up to 103 for the year based on a check of what I've seen in the area this year...
John Edwards
Peregrine

Re: Eyes Lane Flood

Post by John Edwards »

I also visited the floods this morning, due to the rain I didn't stay long, good numbers of Canada Geese with no sign of the Gt White though I did manage to spot a single Ruff, will have to return when the weather is a bit drier.
John Edwards
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

I spent well over an hour scanning through the geese, gulls and lapwings on the flood with no sighting of the GWE. However, as I drove back along Eyes Lane, I checked the marsh from the end of the big hedge and there it was in all its glory, together with 3 Grey Heron. Len should have a few good pictures of it. Full sightings:-
Pink-footed Geese 200+ over. On the flood were Mute Swan 3 adults and a juvenile, Canada Geese c300, Greylag Geese c50, Mallard c40, single Wigeon and Pintail, Moorhen 3, Cormorant on the river, Buzzard 3, Pheasant 50+, Great White Egret, Grey Heron 3, Lapwing c150, BH Gull c500, single figures of Common Gull, Herring Gull and LBB Gull, GS Pecker, Skylark c30, Pied Wagtail 4, Grey Wagtail, Fieldfare 20 over heading south, Starling min 50
Mammals:- Roe Deer, Grey Squirrel
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

530 to 600

Optimistically went in the hope of the Greenshank but no joy there.

However, was rewarded with a green wader in the form of 2 Green Sandpiper on the flood ! Still calling as I type !!

The GWE is posing in for the centre of the flood and a Kingfisher is posing along the dyke !

3 Pintail, 1 Teal and c300 Canada/50 Greylag Goose were the best of the rest.

An enjoyable half hour !
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Birds seen/heard: In addition to Neil's sightings I saw 10 Red Legged Partridge, 25 Corn Bunting, 1 Yellowhammer, 38 Skylark over and 2 more flocks of Canada Geese landed. A Peregrine Falcon had a dash at the birds on the flood and then at a gull that came too close and then landed on the second pylon. A short while later a female Kestrel landed on the same pylon lower down.

Mammals seen/heard: 4 Grey Squirrel, Weasel heard, dead Brown Rat on road.

Great White Egret takes my Chorley Nats species score to 133.
ianball
Peregrine

Post by ianball »

Great White Egret currently patrolling the grasses at the back of the main flood :-)

104 for the year.
Paul Hodson
Peregrine

Post by Paul Hodson »

Last half hour before dark, the Great White Egret was still on the flood when I arrived, it took flight and landed on the bank of the Douglas as I was leaving.
Canada Geese numbers were down to c150 though Greylags were up to c120.
Mute Swan 3 adult 1 juvenile. Grey Heron 2. Lapwing c150. Mallard 100+. Pintail. Moorhen 3.
John Edwards
Peregrine

Post by John Edwards »

I was there this morning between 10 and 11, when I first arrived the Gt White Egret was next to the ditch half hidden in the reeds I couldn't see it at all when I was leaving. A family group of 5 juvenile and 4 adult Whoopers were on the floods though probably only half the number of birds compared to Monday.
John Edwards
Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

12.30-1.30 - arrived as a female marsh harrier was among flocks of starling, lapwing and BH gulls over the flood. It soon passed through and all settled down on the flood. Also 120 greylag, 100 Canada, 13 whooper, 3 mute, several herring, 3 heron, gt egret flew from long grass to edge of the flood (that has increased since the weekend), plenty of skylark, 5 buzzard, kestrel, pied wagtail on bridge. No waders.
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Record photos of Great White Egret added.

Neville Root
Raven

Post by Neville Root »

Did you get a shot of the harrier Len? (realise 'shot' is probably not the right word in Eyes Lane!)
John Frankland
Peregrine

Post by John Frankland »

730 to 830am

Unfortunately no sign of the Harrier this morning. :(

However, good mix of birds still.

Great White Egret 1 seen flying from flood area, up the Douglas and then landed in woods (pond near edge ?) SW of the bridge about 1/2mile away.
Kingfisher 1 on dyke
Buzzard 2
Peregrine 1 with catch
Whooper Swan 7
Wigeon 1f
Greylag Goose 150
Canada Goose 100
Grey Wagtail 1
Lapwing 25
Skylark 20
Paul Hodson
Peregrine

Post by Paul Hodson »

Evening visit, 5.15-6.00.
The Great White Egret was still present on the flood when I arrived, it left as the light was fading, headed west.
Canada Geese c120. Greylag Geese c120. Grey Heron 3. Lapwing 198. Buzzard.
Small group of Redwing feeding on the hawthorns

Sadly there was a dead juvenile Mute Swan underneath the cables in the field across the road from the flood
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

The egret wasn't showing at lunch-time. Otherwise sightings were similar to Paul's plus a single Whooper Swan and 3 adult and one (now dead?) juvenile Mute Swan. Also of interest were Pied and Grey Wagtail, Stonechat, 2 Yellowhammer and 12 Corn Bunting.

Return to “Recent Sightings”