Year list.

Discussion of sightings in and around the Chorley area.

Moderator: Neil Southworth

gary lilley
Avocet

Year list.

Post by gary lilley »

Out of the 149 species seen in the chorley district so far this year these are the 10 species ive not seen , bittern , red kite , marsh harrier , osprey , black tailed godwit , lesser spotted woodpecker , yellow wagtail , tree pipit , crossbill and pied flycatcher .
John Frankland
Peregrine

Re: Year list.

Post by John Frankland »

Apart from Black tailed Godwit, I am missing the same same birds as Gary together with Hobby, Woodcock, Greenshank and Avocet.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

Post by Neil Southworth »

I'm a bit surprised you haven't got Black-tailed Godwit on your list, Gary.
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

Just checked my all time list for the chorley area and the grand total is 157 species , is any body near to the magic 200 club ?
Neil Southworth
Avocet

My Chorley Life List stands at 183, but if you take off the plastic stuff like Wood Duck and Bar-headed Goose, it's probably nearer 180. There's very little missing from the list that occurs regularly, so it could be a long time before I make 200, if ever!!
Leonard Poxon
Little Egret

Post by Leonard Poxon »

Of the 149 species seen this year I am missing the same as Gary except for Crossbill & Black Tailed Godwit (which I have seen), plus Woodcock, Water Rail, Jack Snipe, Hobby, Ring Ouzel, Greenshank, Short Eared Owl and Green Woodpecker.

I am surprised that no one has recorded a Merlin yet this year!

My life list in the Chorley Nats area stands at 155*, but includes Ruddy Duck (seen on Adlington Reservoir many years ago).

* [Edited on 28.10.17 to include Bewick's Swan previously omitted]
Last edited by Leonard Poxon on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Southworth
Avocet

I too am amazed that no-one has recorded Merlin this year! It's funny how we overlook these things. It must be prime candidate to be 150 for the year - and 140 for Gary?!!

There's nothing wrong with having Ruddy Duck on your Chorley list, Len. Keep it there because you'll probably never get it again. :(
gary lilley
Avocet

Post by gary lilley »

I,m with len and neil on the merlin i cant believe no one has seen one in jan, feb , march and april on the mosses or winter hill will be looking hard for this species :wink: , ive also got ruddy duck on my life list use to see them regular on the e shaped ponds and wymott ponds back in the 1980,s .

Return to “Recent Sightings”